chain for '80 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain for '80 750

i need to know best place to buy drive chain and what kind for an '80 gs 750e..and i take it i probably need sprockets? bike sat 12 years in barn uncovered..runs great but chain keeps stretching

bike has 8200 miles on it now

Comment

Fast service and great pricing.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Got mine at Z1 too.

mike

Comment

holy crap a hundred bucks for a chain!!! i didnt realize they were that expensive....

Comment

Figure another hundred for the sprockets. I recommend doing the 530 chain conversion, the chain is cheaper and easier to find, and go with an o-ring or x-ring chain, they last longer. Also pick up a couple of extra master links and a chain breaker to throw in your tool kit, it really sucks to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a broken chain and no way to fix it.

Comment

thanks all for the info.. will try z1... but isn't 530 chain for 600cc or less?

Comment

The bike came from the factory with a 630 chain but don't let anyone fool ya, a new (read: modern) 530 chain is plenty strong for anything nowadays. The two main reasons for going with the 530 chain is less rotating mass (it's lighter) and it's much easier and cheaper to find. You can walk into any motorcycle shop and walk out with a 530 chain. The only thing different you need is a spacer to take up the slack since the 530 front sprocket is thinner. The rear sprocket just bolts up. JT Sprockets has an article on this, I believe. Do a search here for "530 chain" and you'll find plenty of info. Bottom line, the 530 chain conversion will cost the same or less than replacing the stock 630 stuff, it's lighter, easier to find and cheaper, and if you get a good quality chain it's probably going to be stronger than your factory chain.

Remember that you will need more links if you get the 530 chain, as the links are smaller. My stock chain is 630X96, replacement with stock ratio sprockets will be a 530X115. And it's still cheaper!
                Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2007, 04:48 PM.

Comment

thanks txironhead

that's the info i needed..i'll be going to 530

Comment

I'd consider switching to a 530 for my bike if I had to replace chains often......or even every now and then. Maybe it's the way I ride but mine is in great shape and it was on the bike when I bought it 5 or 6 years ago. (I have taken good care of it.)
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

my chain is getting pretty bad... its probably gonna get replaced next spring.

Comment

Just try and find a better deal than here. http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...t=false&GiftID
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

or would you have to find one exactly 115.

Comment

115 is the ballpark number, but I'd go more links before I went less. You can buy a 120 and take however many links off as you need. That's why I recommended buying a chain breaker. It's easier and safer to take a link or two off than run too many master links.

If you're not sure, go ahead and call chaparral, JT Sprockets, or whoever you end up buying the parts from and talking to their tech support. They'll have the conversion charts, etc., to get you set up.

Comment

Working...
                            X