Clutch Recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Recomendation

Need a new clutch for my 78 GS1000. What brands have you guys found works well. So far I have found OEM (expensive), Vesra, EBC, and Barnett (nobody seems to carry).

Thanks

The finest in motorcycle performance products for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha

Last edited by Flatline_Racing; 06-24-2007, 02:23 PM.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I've used Vesra in the past with excellent results. I highly recommend making sure the kit comes with new springs, if not, make sure you buy those too.

Comment

What is making you think that you need a new clutch? Have you removed the plates and measured their thicknesses? I have had more than one clutch slip on me over the years. In all of those situations, the slippage was cured by merely installing new springs.
        Lots cheaper and eaiser to find. \\/

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did the Barnett and the springs were so stiff I had to go back to the orig springs.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            What is making you think that you need a new clutch? Have you removed the plates and measured their thicknesses? I have had more than one clutch slip on me over the years. In all of those situations, the slippage was cured by merely installing new springs.
            Lots cheaper and eaiser to find. \\/

Bingo -- these clutches last dang near forever. Most of the time all you need is new OEM springs to cure slippage. They get really tired after 20+ years under pressure.

They're only about $2-$3 each, too. 6 springs and a clutch cover gasket cost you maybe $25, and take maybe 15 minutes to install.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I noticed the other night that with a high gear roll on that at about 5000 RPM where the power comes on, it would start to slip. I don't notice it in the lower gears, but I'm not on it hard since I'm still getting use to the bike. Cable is adjusted ok. Also it seems that when taking off from a stop that the friction zone does not end until the lever is fully released. I just thought the clutch was about done? and I was planning on new springs while I was in there.

Comment

Too much tension on the clutch cable? Just a thought.

Comment

Cable adjustment is good. 1st thing I checked
                  Thanks

Comment

I put a barnett clutch in mine but it drags worse than the oem one did when cold, never slips though. I'd go oem.
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      I noticed the other night that with a high gear roll on that at about 5000 RPM where the power comes on, it would start to slip. I don't notice it in the lower gears, but I'm not on it hard since I'm still getting use to the bike. Cable is adjusted ok. Also it seems that when taking off from a stop that the friction zone does not end until the lever is fully released. I just thought the clutch was about done? and I was planning on new springs while I was in there.
                      Classic case of weak springs. Just order new springs and a gasket.

If you do the job while the bike is on the side stand, you don't even need to drain the oil. \\/

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey I'll try springs first, Heck of a lot cheaper and money left for other things on the list.

Comment

Is there any truth to the rumor that synthetic oil will cause wet clutch slippage ?
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Synthetic oil with friction modifiers may cause wet clutch slippage. Mobil 1 has the modifiers, Castrol Syntec does not. I use the Castrol Syntec in 10/40w and it's great - faster revving, cooler engine, slicker shifting gearbox, and no clutch slippage.

Look on the back of the bottle of oil. If it says "Energy Conserving", steer clear.

Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2007, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                              Is there any truth to the rumor that synthetic oil will cause wet clutch slippage ?
                              Thats what I have heard. Especially friction modified. Iv'e had no problems with synthetic Motorcycle oil. I'm running spectro conventional in this bike. No telling what was in it before.

Comment

Working...
                              X