Bonehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonehead

Hi there, I have a 80 gs450l and just got the bike. It has not ran since 1986. I pulled the carbs off to clean the bowls. Unfortunetly I think I mixed up the fuel lines. The bike will run on carb cleaner but isn't getting fuel. Any help would be appreciated thanks....

Originally posted by Big Jake View Post
    I pulled the carbs off to clean the bowls. ....

Thats a good "start" but youre gonna hear it from people alot more carb savy than me "Ya got a long way to go." Pull the carbs and go through them completly. Good luck & Welcome. With all the knowledge here youll have er running in no time. Most of our NY gurus are in Dunkirk......Drunk.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Well first off if the bike has not run since 86 you'll need to do a complete carb rebuild. Go to http://www.cycleorings.com/ and see if you can get a set of o-rings and carb bowl gaskets there. If your not getting any fuel pull the line off the petcock and see if it drains gas when set to "Pri" or "Res" if there is no "Pri". I'm going to bet you probably have a rusted tank and will have to clean her out.

Comment

If it's like the 80 450 E that I've been working on, the petcock will have to have a vacuum applied before it'll work. Mine only has a On and Res, and both require a vacuum from the carb to open the petcock. This should be from a small line behind a above the larger fuel line and it runs to the left front side of the left carb to a vacuum port there.

If you pull a vacuum on that and fuel flows, there there's a problem with your needle and seats inside the carbs, or many other possible items. If it doesn't flow fuel, then check the fuel tank for rust, old gas varnish, or just junk in the tank. If that's clean then it's probably the petcock and it's been said here to toss it and buy a new one.

Comment

I think that a carb rebuild is going to be the key. I can run the bike on carb spray through the air box. I have to admit. 20 years and with a little carb cleaner took right off. So I plan on ripping into the carb this week. now as long as I don't touch the set screws will I be o.k rebuilding the carb and putting it back together??? My main goal is to get the bike and keep the bike running for now and then worry about all those pesky other details to numerous to mention. Thanks for the help I will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
          X