Gold Header Pipes ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold Header Pipes ??

I dont have much experience with single wall chrome pipes. My Roadstar Warrior has double wall pipes. My dirtbikes and 4-wheelers are not chrome. My header pipes are turning gold right where they exit the head. I'm thinking I'm lean, although the plugs don't look like it. You guy's have a lot more experience at this than I do!

Great question Blackstar. I have the same problem but with a slight twist. On my 2 month old header, #1,3,4, is turning gold and #2 is still new looking. I have checked plugs on #1 and #4 and they looked good (light tan) My bike seems to idle a little rough also. Hope we can get some answers here.

Rj

Comment

Some gold color is normal but blue (particularly dark blue) is bad since it indicates heat. Inconsistancy of the color on the head tubes indicates variation in the temperature of the pipes - basically, something is wrong. Most of the time the variation is to run lean, thus a blue pipe. No color on the pipe means the cylinder is not getting as hot - maybe poor compression? weak ignition? or the petcock is leaking into #2 port causing rich running. Not good in either case.

Basic rule of thumb is to rejet the carbs when running a header and/or pods. Rejeting specifics depends on the configuration.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you Nessism. I should add that I had all the work done at a local shop. Installed new V & H 4-1, K & N filter, not pods. Cleaned carbs, rejetted with dyno jet and synced. Also new fork seals installed. This was done in mid May. It's seems that I get a good bit of popping thru the exhaust on a cold start. This occurs after the bike is started and I take the choke down so that the engine is running around 2000 rpm to warm up. Once the engine is warmed up good it idles a little rough but maintains an even rpm. Good bit of decel popping on down shift while riding also. I started noticing the pipes changing color about two weeks ago. Gold, not blue at all. I knew that blue was not good, but when I noticed that one of them was not changing color, I thought that was a little strange and that something in that cylinder must be different than the other 3.

I don't really have suitable place to work on my bike as I live in an apartment building. That's why I took it to a shop to get the pipe put on and related items. I'd much rather work on it myself. Lately I've started doing some small maint on it out side. A guy I work with has a garage and we have talked about me doing a valve adj on my bike at his garage next week. Maybe we can work thru this issue there as well.

Blackstar I'm not trying to hijack your thread. We both have the same problem. Does your bike exhibit any other symptoms besides the gold pipes? Maybe between the both of us posting in your thread we can solve it. Thank you for asking the question.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2007, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Something to remember. The quality of the chrome plating job has a lot to do with how blue or gold a pipe will turn...so you may not have a problem at all. The plugs will tell the story not the pipes.

If this wasn't the case why would they need to make double walled pipes???
          Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2007, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The bike runs pretty good. Still working on the fine tune.

Comment

Okay Jimcor, I'll check the plugs and see if #2 looks any different than the rest. Thanks.

Comment

Guys, I'm going to listen to your suggestions, read the plugs and go from there. From what I understand, if I disconnect the fuel line from the carbs and the petcock is not on prime, then no fuel should drip from the line. Correct?
                That said, I still would welcome any further comments or suggestions on the subject of this thread. I'm just a beginner so I need all the help I can get.

Rj

Comment

Are you sure that your pipes are chrome?

Check out a bandit exhaust. They are stainless steel that go a golden colour when hot!

Suzuki mad.

Comment

my V&H pipe has gone a lovely gold colour & where it goes 4 into 1
                    I think it looks nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X