Maybe someone can straighten me out on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe someone can straighten me out on this

This is a thread from the yammy 650 site. What dont i know about the yammy 650 in relation to over bored engines

Anybody know what is needed to install wisecos big bore kit. Will I need to have professional machining done or is it a straight forward job?
    Thanks
    chips7297

slowpoke59ds
    XS650 Board Rookie
    Re: Big Bore Kit
    ? Reply #1 on: Today at 6:31am ? Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ususally when oversized pistons are installed you will certaintly have to have the barrels bored to the correct size. If you intend to go over the manufacturers service limit and have larger sleeves installed in the barrels then modifications to the case should be necessary. In both cases machine shops will be needed to do the over bore unless you have your own machinery.

Diesel
    XS650 Board Pro

aka: Diogenes
    ? Reply #2 on: Today at 7:33am ? Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The cases will accomodate the larger barrels so no machining there is necessary.

If you don't have a local machinist you know you can trust, check out Bore-Tech. Bill Moeller knows his stuff and does quality work at a great price. He even offers a Carbide Bore Process which really helps both performance and longevity.

racing is better than sex... you're encouraged to be quick and finish first.

slowpoke59ds
    XS650 Board Rookie

? Reply #3 on: Today at 5:35pm ? Quote Modify Remove

tell me how far i can go without having to touch the cases on the yammy 650
    i am used to my 1100e suzuki

Used to Own..

Used to own an XJ650 Maxim by Yammer Hammer. I bored out and installed wiseco pistons. Had machine shop do the honing and I did the rest. I do not recommend anyone boring and engine unless there skilled. I would rather pay someone who has the right equipment to hone (bore) engines.

Louie

Comment

Re: Used to Own..

Originally posted by ageekapc
      Used to own an XJ650 Maxim by Yammer Hammer. I bored out and installed wiseco pistons. Had machine shop do the honing and I did the rest. I do not recommend anyone boring and engine unless there skilled. I would rather pay someone who has the right equipment to hone (bore) engines.

Louie
      louie. This guy semed to imply that it was not necessary to rebore the cases when installing a big bore set of sleeves. And my viewpoint is that if you go over the service limit and have to install larger sleeves that the cases must be rebored. I was wondering if there was something that i missesd in this area. mybe in the yammy, the pistons donot com down as far as on some other bikes or something like that. I am really confused on this issue because i never heard og installing larger sleeves without machining the cases to fit them.

Comment

So Louie, what does a Geek at P.C.s do when he is geeking???

Comment

A geek

Ageekapc is the name of my part time business. It stands for "A Geek And a PC". I do repair work and custom built machines in my part time to help pay for motorcycle parts (nasty habit LOL !!).

His statement is contradictory. If you are going to install bigger pistons than you have to bore the engine. Its the law of physics at work. If you bore the engine outside of manufacture cylinder wall limits you have to install sleeves to reinforce the combustion chamber. If you do not bore the engine and only install sleeves than he will defeat his purpose of installing bigger pistons as the installation of the sleeves will shrink the cylinder wall area and not enable him to go "bigger" in piston size. Hope this makes sense. You have not missed anything but he most certainly has.

In regards to piston stroke the Yamaha inline 4 does have a shorter stroke but that would not matter in regards to wiseco larger piston size installation.

Hope this helps out.

Louie

Comment

Re: A geek

Originally posted by ageekapc
            Ageekapc is the name of my part time business. It stands for "A Geek And a PC". I do repair work and custom built machines in my part time to help pay for motorcycle parts (nasty habit LOL !!).

His statement is contradictory. If you are going to install bigger pistons than you have to bore the engine. Its the law of physics at work. If you bore the engine outside of manufacture cylinder wall limits you have to install sleeves to reinforce the combustion chamber. If you do not bore the engine and only install sleeves than he will defeat his purpose of installing bigger pistons as the installation of the sleeves will shrink the cylinder wall area and not enable him to go "bigger" in piston size. Hope this makes sense. You have not missed anything but he most certainly has.

In regards to piston stroke the Yamaha inline 4 does have a shorter stroke but that would not matter in regards to wiseco larger piston size installation.

Hope this helps out.

Louie
            Good info Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X