No announcement yet.

Clutchless Shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it shifts the same wether i clutch it or not but i pull the clutch just to be sure. the plates are probably in need of replacement considering the shudder from the clutch area of the engine when pulling away from a light no matter how much i feather it.

Comment

Clutch please....I'll clutch it any day all day, rather wear out my easily replaceable cable and discs than my not so easy or cheap to replace trans.

Just to get things straight, bikes don't have synchromesh cuse they don't have synchronizers and they are sequential shift not progressive shift.

If you like to go clutchless don't be mad when we both are in the garage, you changing your trans and forks, me changing my cable and discs and I get done and on the road before your even half way done \\/

Comment

The theory is the same as an airshifter on a dragbike. Momentarily reduce the load against the dogs in the transmission while putting tension against the shift lever and it will pop into the next gear. most air shifters Kill the ignition for a couple of milliseconds and use an air ram to load the gear selector to punch into the next gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          Any transmission with synchromesh-type gearing can be shifted without the clutch...provided that you have no load on the gearing, as mentioned above, it's all about engine RPM's. When you get to the point that you can tell your ground speed, based on the gear that you're in and the RPM you turning...clutchless shifting is as easy as using the clutch, if not easier.
          Ditto to what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            Any transmission with synchromesh-type gearing can be shifted without the clutch...provided that you have no load on the gearing, as mentioned above, it's all about engine RPM's. When you get to the point that you can tell your ground speed, based on the gear that you're in and the RPM you turning...clutchless shifting is as easy as using the clutch, if not easier.
            bikes and trucks aren't sycromesh-type gears
            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

My understanding is that (most) bike transmissions aren't synchro-mesh, they're constant mesh...

Least, that's what them bike mags tell me.

Clutch type: Wet, multi-plate, blah, blah, blah
              Transmission: 5-speed, constant mesh, blah, blah, blah

And clutchless take-offs are a snap. From neutral, you just get the bike rolling by foot, and (with a firm grip on the bars and a smidge of throttle) snick the shifter up into second gear - and away you go. If you approach a red or stale yellow light, just click it into neutral and slowly coast your way up to the light, trying to wait out the revolution so you don't have to fully stop....

Not that I'd have any reason to know about that one.

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane View Post
                My understanding is that (most) bike transmissions aren't synchro-mesh, they're constant mesh...

Least, that's what them bike mags tell me.
                -Q!
                Good point but the net fact remains the same. Either (any) type of transmission can be shifted without the clutch if you get the rpms correct. Done that many times when the clutch cable on car or bike broke.

The only difference is I use first gear and the starter to get it going from the stop - fires right off and shift without clutch up or down. On newer cars had to jump the switch on hydro clutch pedal to get it to engage. With my bike just hold the limp clutch handle in to engage starter switch (some people defeat this switch for that reason and choking).

Guess it makes sense that a syncro's job is to get gears spinning at the same speed so they will slide together without grinding. Remember the old cars when first and reverse were both non-syncro...double clutch? So if you get your gears spinning at the same rpm they will easily slide together.

Putting soapbox away now. Thanks for making the distinction:shock:

Comment

Working...
                X