Engine flush? 82 GS1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine flush? 82 GS1100e

Is it advisable to do an engine flush? I get the feeling that my inards could use a good clean out. Short of taking everything apart I wonder if it is even a good idea to do an engine flush at my next oil change.
    Also in a semi related question...is the starter oil immersed? I want clean that up too. Sorry if these questions seem obvious.

First - the starter is not immersed in oil - only the drive gear to the flywheel is located in an oil prone area.

Second - I've flushed the engine on my GS700ES a couple of times with no ill affect. I've used store bought flush and also used a 50/50 mix of tranny fluid and Kerosine - either does the trick. Pour abut 8 to 10 ozs in the crankcase, start the motor, and let her run til warm. DO NOT RIDE IT ANYWHERE!! Then drain the crankcase really well - you can even give the engine a few cranks after the oil has drained just to make sure you got most everything pumped out.......but don't get carried away doing it. Change your filter, making sure you clean out the filter cavity well too.

Fill 'er up with oil and go for it.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I feel better about doing the flush. It's just something I need to do for my own conscience sake. I dont know what the PO did or did not do to maintain the bike. I have a feeling that she may be gummed up a bit. I will feel better after a good clean out and new synthetic 20w50 goes back in.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm, I tried flushing an engine once and it got stuck in the toilet........Yuk,Yuk,Yuk....:-D\\/:-D

Comment

That's cause

These in line fours arent made of sh*t. Anybody knows that's all that will go down there...lol.
          V-twins now...maybe.

Comment

Working...
          X