more on bleeding brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more on bleeding brakes

.....after 8 attempts at bleeding my front brakes, I'm now a believer in the saying " if you do the same thing over and over but expect different results then you're insane".
    On this site we have the Stator Papers and a brilliant discussion of carburetor over hauls ! ! How about a brake guru sharing his knowledge on how to bleed brakes effectively and efficiently the first time . There has to be a better methodical approach than just pumping bottles of fluid through hoping to get the air out.
    Ya....I've bled lotsa brakes in my dubious career but haven't encountered anything like the Suzuki front hydraulics that seem to have some mystery space that hides air........so hoping to hear from someone that knows how to do it right the first time.

cheers all

How far apart did you have the system?

Did you start by bleeding the banjo bolt at the master cylinder?

What method are you using? "just pumping bottles of fluid through hoping to get the air out" isn't much of a description.

If you have a Mity-Vac, the procedure is rather simple.
    1) Open the master cylinder and suck all the fluid out, then clean any debris from the reservoir.
    2) Fill the master cylinder with fresh fluid.
    3) Attach the suction hose of the Mity-Vac to one of the bleed nipples on the caliper.
    4) Apply a bit of suction, open the nipple. Watch the air bubbles in the tubing, keep squeezing for vacuum as necessary.
    5) Keep an eye on the level in the master cylinder. A second person is a big help here.
    6) When the bubbles stop, tighten the nipple, repeat on the other side.

If you don't have a Mity-Vac, it's still not very hard.
    1) Open the master cylinder, use a suction bulb (you can use an infant model found in the pharmacy or a turkey baster) and suck all the fluid out, then clean any debris from the reservoir.
    2) Fill the master cylinder with fresh fluid.
    3) Rig a small catch can (I use baby food jars) and a drain hose from the caliper bleed nipple. Put enough brake fluid in the catch can to cover the end of the hose.
    4) It helps to have a helper, but the sequence is: open the bleeder, squeeze the lever. Close the bleeder, release the lever. Repeat as necessary. This will move fluid (and bubbles) through the hose quicker than repeated squeezing, then opening the bleeder to have everything squirt out under pressure. Some have said that you don't need to close the bleeder every time, as long as the end of the drain hose remains covered with fluid.
    5) Keep an eye on the level in the master cylinder. A second person is a big help here.
    6) When the bubbles stop, tighten the nipple, repeat on the other side.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Step backwards slowly away .......

.. is ringing in my head.

I qualify as a brake expert, but more towards auto then bikes. And I've lived with my '82 1100e Suzy brakes for 25 years so I'll give it a try.

I've rebuilt my calipers every few years and I'm about to do it again along with the masters, but I've never had an issue.

When I rebuild calipers, before I install them I prefill the caliper body with brake fluid, tapping lightly on the sides to dislodge any air that may be trapped. I then use new copper washers (but you can anneal them with heat if you don't have new) to ensure a good seal at the banjo bolts.

Once attached to the hoses, I'll take off the master cylinder cap, then re-tap both the calipers and work my way up the hose to try to dislodge any air again. Without any pull/push on the levers/pedal, the compensating port of the master is open to the reservoir and any air bubbles should flow up through that.

Then I commence with normal bleeding procedures, opening up the bleeder screw when the M/C pistons are pushed in, and closing the screw before releasing, as I'm sure your doing. I also tap on the caliper body during bleeding as air can always get trapped between the caliper pistons and body.

Contrary to the Suzuki manual, I bleed the calipers before I do the anti-dive as I'm concerned about introducing air up into the crossover hose between the caliper and anti-dive if any remains in the caliper.

I will also tell you that I've had the braided lines on the bike since '83 and those did reduce the amount of displacement. I have relatively little movement in the brake lever before engagement.

It might help to explain what you have been doing and if the calipers or master was just reworked.

Comment

I have great fun with my GS(X)1100e's front brakes with the anti dive unit attached. They can be real bu**ers to get firm.

The GS1000's a doddle, except the rear's when the bled nipple plays up with crud down the inside.

Just don't go there with the Bandit rear caliper. You've got to take the whole unit off the bike to get it to bled.

Onced you can get fluid out of the master cylinder and flowing then its normally easy to sort. One thing that is missed is changing the washers on the pipes when they are unbolted.

What bike are you talking about?

Suzuki mad

Comment

I've had the same problem but it was bubbles in the master cylinder near the banjo bolt. I take off the brake lever and with the cap off the M/C i push the brake piston in with the old one or a phillips screwdriver and Wallah! Tiny bubbles rise to the surface and a firm lever. The brake lever does not push the piston all the way in so some air can hide behind it.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm an idiot. I've been "bleeding" with several pumps of the lever without closing the valve in between and without the hose submerged. Duh -- no wonder I have a sloppy lever. I'm just expelling air and sucking it right back in. Of course I was closing the valve with the lever depressed, but that's only after I've created a frothy bubbly bunch of fluid in the calipers I'm sure.

Comment

Yep.... I do both, submerge the end of the hose & close the valve on each pump.

Don't re-use the brake fluid you pumped through to top up the master cylinder. Use new stuff from the bottle every time.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

for those that asked......I've done a complete rebuild on the M/C and calipers. I've done all the things suggested in the many posts re: bleeding. Never knew about air in the banjo bolts , so I loosened all them off as well and let the oil seep out.
                The only thing I haven't tried is tapping the calipers and hoses to try and dislodge air bubbles. I'll try that tomorrow

cheers

Comment

You can also try a cable tie around the lever & grip to keep it in the on position & then leave it for a couple of days...

The pressure helps the bubbles rise to the top.

This has worked for me several times with difficult cars (there I used a 2 x 2 cut to length & wedged against the seat frame).

What bars do you have on the bike... with my new euro bars using original hoses it strikes me that I have a loop behind the headlight I'd have to straighten out to help with bleeding if I was to do it now......

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

hey Salty Monk.......yep I even tried the ol' cord around the lever/bar trick over night. Didn't seem to help. The bars are stock Suzuki for North America.

cheers

Comment

I really would not loosen and tighten the banjo bolts to bleed. The copper washers work hardened as they are crushed. They seal best on the first clamp down.

Comment

The bleeding process should start while the piston is compressed into the caliper. Use a small C-clamp to do this and watch that you don't overflow your master.

Compress the master with a rubber band or your helper's hand.

Then, while holding the caliper, gently tap it with the butt of a screwdriver while slowly rotating it with the nipple pointing up. What you are trying to do is collect all the bubbles up near the nipple so you can expel them.

Attach you hose to the nipple and crack it open. Hopefully one or two bubbles will come out.

Close the nipple and clean up.

Remove the C-clamp and reinstall the caliper.

Once the system is re-pressurised you should have rock hard brakes.

Comment

I just went through this on my gs550. This bike had been sitting and had no pressure in the front brake. Pumping the lever did not build pressure and it would not bleed. Here's what fixed it.

1. Removed caliper
                          2. Removed cap from master cylinder.
                          3. Held caliper and tapped it with a rubber hammer, keeping the hose at the highest point so that any air would rise toward it.
                          4. Compressed the caliper with a c-clamp and watched A LOT of air come up through the MC. (Be careful not to tighten to hard with a c-clamp as it can damage the caliper, or so I've read in my manual)
                          5. Soaked up all the old fluid in the MC with a rag, cleaned out the gunk, replaced the fluid, and then continued to pump about a half a bottle of brake fluid through the system until it ran absolutely clean and air-free.

Comment

A Mityvac is the only way to accomplish this quickly and with a minimum of bad words.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              A Mityvac is the only way to accomplish this quickly and with a minimum of bad words.
                              Agreed. It took me almost two hours to bleed my brakes on a GS850G. 20 min for the back, the rest on the front.

Comment

Working...
                              X