Clicking when starting, replaced solenoid, same thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clicking when starting, replaced solenoid, same thing

I have an '82 GS1100E that the battery went south on and wouldn't crank any longer. I removed the battery and found it to be bone dry. Rather than filling it and charging it I went out and bought a new one. The one I bought is Everstart's top of the line, sealed and all that jazz. I followed the directions on filling it, letting it sit so the AGV plates can absorb the acid and then charging it. Today I unhooked the charger and put the seat and side cover back on in anticipation of getting to take the bike out for a spin.

I turned the key on, pulled in the clutch and hit the start button only to be greeted with a click, click, click from the solenoid instead of my bike rumbling to life. I swapped in another solenoid from my other bike and it did the same thing. I checked my fuses and connections and still click, click, click. I unhooked the lead wire to the solenoid and ran it to the positive side of the battery and got the same click, click, click. It's definitely the solenoid that is clicking. Is there something that I am missing? I've checked the voltage on the battery and it's at 13 volts DC. I even hooked a jump starter to the battery and still got the same thing. HELP!

have you tried compression starting it while pressing the starter button?

If that does not work perhaps your starter is the culprit... give it a few taps with a soft malet ... hope that helps you out good luck

Comment

Well I've tried checking and tightening the wire connections to the starter and unhooking the battery and running the jump starter directly to the battery connectors and got the same thing. I'll try the starter trick next. It was turning over fine just a couple of days ago when the battery died.

Comment

Check your wires and connections, don't forget to check the solenoids ground....sounds like your solenoid isn't getting enough power to stay latched, if the starter was the problem you wouldn't hear the click click click.... just click and no starter running

Comment

Looks like...

It is the starter of all things. I guess it just couldn't bring itself to go on without the old battery by its side. I popped it a couple of times with a rubber mallet and it groaned a little after that. Then I pulled the starter, which took longer than it should have, and did a "field rebuild." Basically I took it apart and cleaned it out and used a Dremel to buff the build-up off of the brushes and the area they contact. Now the starter runs but doesn't engage to start the bike. Either I put it back together wrong or the thing is just screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver View Post
            It is the starter of all things. I guess it just couldn't bring itself to go on without the old battery by its side. I popped it a couple of times with a rubber mallet and it groaned a little after that. Then I pulled the starter, which took longer than it should have, and did a "field rebuild." Basically I took it apart and cleaned it out and used a Dremel to buff the build-up off of the brushes and the area they contact. Now the starter runs but doesn't engage to start the bike. Either I put it back together wrong or the thing is just screwed.
            There was a post a couple days ago about a starter clutch broken into pieces. You might want to take a look inside the cover. You may have the same problem?

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
              There was a post a couple days ago about a starter clutch broken into pieces. You might want to take a look inside the cover. You may have the same problem?
              Was the gear on the shaft and was the starter fully in place before you tried starting the bike? If it was not in place and bolted there then it may have been sitting a bit too far back to engage the gear inside the cover.

If the starter was properly positioned try removing it and check for the primary drive gear on the shaft. If it is missing then either A: it is missing because it fell off while you were doing the field repair, or B-it is inside the cover and you will have to remove the stator cover and see if the primary drive gear dropped out of place when the starter was removed.

I would not start the bike by pushing it until this is checked and resolved because if the gear is loose inside, and the starter shaft is not holding it in place, then there is a possibility of it doing damage.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X