1979 GS1000 ignition lock and instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000 ignition lock and instrument

recently wrecked my GS1000 and broke the headlight, instrument cluster, and ignition lock / key. The worst part is the key because it was used to open seat, gas cap, and ignition.

I have a couple questions.. will any instrument cluster work? Has anyone had experience using something different than OEM? How would you suggest dealing with the lock issue? I'm trying to keep my costs down because my liability insurance didn't cover my bike.

Thanks..
    Steve

Bummer:? Take off the helmet lock and there should be a number on the back. Take the number to your Suzuki dealer. I responded to your instrument panel post in the parts wanted.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Bummer:? Take off the helmet lock and there should be a number on the back. Take the number to your Suzuki dealer. I responded to your instrument panel post in the parts wanted.
      the number is also on the gas cap its a 3 diget. i had to have a spair made. any good lock shop should be able to make one. mine was made out of a ford key.

if you can get a ford key blank. or a old ford key.

use a stiff wire, bend in a J then push down on the tang for the seat lock. this will pop the lock. take the lock apart, trace the out line of the pins. file the key to the inverse of the pins.

Comment

Don't you have a spare key ????

Comment

No spare key. Bought motorcycle used and only one key.

Comment

gremlin thanks for the advise. The number on my gas cap and seat lock is "123". It is strange that this would be the key code number. With your tip on the wire to pop the tab on the seat worked well.

Thanks again

Comment

The GS1000 clocks are very basic. As long as you use the same connectors and run the same idiot lights only, any cable driven rev counter and speedo will work.

Your problem comes with brackets.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Best advice I can give you now is, get thee to a locksmith, and have SEVERAL keys made. Keys get broken, keys get lost, keys run away and hide. I always have a single key (nothing else on the fob with it) for the ignition, one safe in a jacket pocket, a flat one in my wallet, and one hidden on the motorcycle itself. I've been stranded ONCE, a LONG time ago (1988?) when my girlfriend borrowed my car, and forgot to leave the MC key before she drove away... NEVER AGAIN! You NEED extra keys, so spend the money, tag them, put them where you can ALWAYS find them, and ALWAYS carry a spare! Learn from my mistake!

Comment

Working...
                X