freak problem according to mechanics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freak problem according to mechanics...

there seemed to be a weird knocking noise coming from the area of the shaft boot on my 83GK. it got a little louder over a week. i checked the fluid levels in the secondary and final drives. they were fine. then i took it to the mechanic, because i didn't want to blow an engine or whatever it was, as i am not good with the diagnostics. (totally different story, but i got rear ended at a stoplight on the way there... by a yellow cab) so they rode it, listened to it, and both had a differing opinions. one thought it was the u joint, the other thought it was a secondary gear problem. u joints never go out so they tell me, and the gears are pretty solid for the mileage on my bike... either way very expensive... anyone have an idea?

Pull back the boot at the transmission end of the shaft, inspect the nut holding the shaft to the universal at the transmission. It broke on my 1100 gl once.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

What Gustov said. Peel back the boot and look for yourself. Look for a missing or loose nut, and wiggle the u-joint around -- it could also be the bearing supporting the output flange, although that would be rare. The output units are very robust but problems can happen. The driveshafts and u-joints are likewise virtually indestructible, but you never know.

Also, NEVER, and I mean NEVER, take a GS to a mechanic, especially in a climate where motorcycle mechanics cannot find year-round employment (all the good mechanics are fixing Buicks, where they can actually earn a living). When will you people learn? I hope you don't have to pay them for making a harebrained guess.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

As far as u-joints never going out, it's a mechanical part, and mechanical parts fail. My brother-in-law had BOTH u-joints fail on his Moto Guzzi. Chances are it's the bolt, but when it comes to 20+ year old bikes never say never.

Comment

U joints is a comon failure item on BMW's and Guzzie's
          V
          Gustov
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          80 GS 550 L
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

can you hear the problem when you put the bike on a lift. if so work from the trany back. start by takeing the shaft off. if the sound stops its the joints. if not keep going till you make the sound stop.

Comment

it only seems to make the noise while the bike is moving. at idle, it is fine, and i can't feel the secondary gear problem while i'm riding.

Comment

Do you feel any vibration at all when moveing? If the nut is broken off, you are beiong driven by the splines only. When the nut on my 1100 gl broke off I had no idea untill I started feeling a vibration at some speeds, I wiggled the shaft at the universal and it didn't wiggle at first, it took a couple thousand miles before it got so bad I limped home at 23 mph. Removed the boot and the nut fell out, the stud had broken flush with the universal, why it didn't fall out the first time I looked at it I haven't a clue.
                V
                Gustov
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                80 GS 550 L
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

i don't feel any vibration at all. it doesn't feel any different, it only sounds different.

Comment

This sounds much like my own issue. (1982 GS850G) I have what feels to be vibration (as if something somewhere in transmission or drive is not counterbalanced), goes away when idle and I can only hear/feel while riding. I thought perhaps something in my clutch basket had broke so i checked there first (which reduced it to a pretty time consuming oil change) Haven't taken the next step fearing the worst (something amiss in the transmission itself) Does this describe the vibration that you had??

-Leo in LBC

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                    Do you feel any vibration at all when moveing? If the nut is broken off, you are beiong driven by the splines only. When the nut on my 1100 gl broke off I had no idea untill I started feeling a vibration at some speeds, I wiggled the shaft at the universal and it didn't wiggle at first, it took a couple thousand miles before it got so bad I limped home at 23 mph. Removed the boot and the nut fell out, the stud had broken flush with the universal, why it didn't fall out the first time I looked at it I haven't a clue.
                    V

Comment

Originally posted by devillox View Post
                      i don't feel any vibration at all. it doesn't feel any different, it only sounds different.
                      Does the NOISE 8-[ increase in relation to ground speed? Change rate in different gears? If it is relation to ground speed...then it will be in the final drive somewhere. If, on the other hand, it changes frequency while changing gears, it will be in the trans / engine. Can't make it any more simple than that.

Comment

nope... no difference in speed or gearing. just there... pretty much constant, unless at a light or stop sign. it does seem to be the loudest at least at the onset of this, but it seemed to be the loudest when you were first taking off from a stop.

Comment

Stop tapping your left foot!! :-D You've got me on this one, not sure what it would be, if the frequency never changes...I'm clueless?

Comment

Working...
                          X