Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loud buzzing

Hi all,

I have an 81 GS 850 G. Just recently I have been hearing a loud buzzing when the engine gets up to 3500 rpm, and goes away at about 4000 rpm, and there's no noise below 3000 rpm at all. Could this be valves? The bike has 19,500 on it.

Thanks Scott

You could just have something loose and vibrating making a buzzing sound. My gas tank starts to vibrate at around 5,000 rpm and makes a buzzing sound. Its kinda weird.

Comment

Shouldnt happen. I betcha you dont have your rubbers installed. There should be three, one on each side at the front and one at the rear hold down.

E.

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
      You could just have something loose and vibrating making a buzzing sound. My gas tank starts to vibrate at around 5,000 rpm and makes a buzzing sound. Its kinda weird.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

When my old A6 needed valve thats exactly what it did...

Comment

I think Earl is refering to fuel tank rubbers.:-D Is there less of a buzz with a full tank of gas?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I think Earl is refering to fuel tank rubbers.:-D
            I hope so, I would never recommend using three rubbers at once otherwise.....:shock:

It would really help if you can locate a general area of where the buzzing is coming from. I had a situation similar to that that turned out to be a loose side cover.

Comment

If you can get the buzzing to happen when you have it in neutral, then you should have some luck tracking the sound to a small area. Get it on the center stand and check it out.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                I hope so, I would never recommend using three rubbers at once otherwise.....:shock:
                Especially when he recommends two in front and one in the rear. :shock:

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Might also be something loose inside the exhaust. But that's normally described as a gawdawful metallic rattle, not a buzz.

It could also be as simple as a bracket resonating at a certain RPM. For example, the horn bracket might be bent or just a little out of position, letting it buzz against the frame at certain resonant frequencies. Something weird like that.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Could be your stator... My bike just started doing that a few weeks ago, took off the stator cover and had one screw loose just a few turns that was causing it.
                    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Working...
                    X