No announcement yet.

gear box work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front one is in the gearbox, the other is on the rear wheel where the 'cush drive' would be on a chain.

I have never done this job or owned a shafty so I have no reference points to guide you.

I would have thought that if the beveled gears had gone if you took the rear wheel out you could turn the shaft. If that is the case you could easily test if the shaft turns or doesn't with the bike in gear testing the beveled gears.

Hope that helps you.....

Suzuki mad.

Comment

gear box

Hi Suzuki mad, so if I take the rear wheel off, and try to turn the shaft bike in gear; the shaft should not turn, if it does then it is the beveled gear at the engine end?

ard

Comment

Just realized that my last post have been 'pants' and making you more work that you don't need to do.

Its the same as what you have already done with the engine and gearbox and if either beveled gear or the transmission was in trouble the shaft may still go round.

Sorry.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Before you take anything apart, try one simple test... put the bike on the centerstand. On the left side, at the front of the swingarm, is a rubber boot that covers the u-joint. Rotate the back wheel and squeeze the boot a bit to see if you can feel the u-joint turning.

My son was riding his old 650L that is here at the house and said that he "clicked it into gear at a light, let out the clutch and it rolled backward." :shock: He got it to the side of the road, called me, I picked it up with the trailer. The u-joint did not rotate with the back wheel. Found a broken drive shaft. Got a new shaft, now just need to find the time to pull the swingarm and change it.

Pulling the swingarm is not particularly easy, but I'd rather do that than split the cases. \\/

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

gearbox

So the test you suggested would not detect the trouble I have? How about the clutch, any trouble there would do the same?,

ard

Comment

Steve's idea what I was trying to explain but very badly. Its trying to identify where the drive has stopped. It could be at either end. The shaft only delivers the power as a chain would do.

Do you have these rubber boots at both engine and rear wheel? Try waht Steve has suggested at both ends. This will tell if you have drive from the back wheel to the engine.

Suzuki mad

Comment

gear box

Hey Steve, thanks for the info, I'll just do that, I have taken a shaft apart from an engine that was sitting in my garage, and gave it to a friend, it was not that bad, Ill go check the rubber. I'll let you know soon I try.

ard

Comment

no gear

Final! here is what I found; after reading Steve's suggestion, (Before taking anything off, squeeze the rubber boot to see if the shaft turns) I did, and the shaft turn.Doing that test, let me think of my logic, I cut the band that holds the rubber boot and looked inside, guess what I found inside the boot..... broken bolts, so the bolts that attaches the shaft to the whatever is called the piece that comes out of the transmission was sheared. I am going to use new nuts and bolts... and I think I'll ride the bike. bon voyage.

ard

Comment

Working...
                  X