Tank coating and ethanol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank coating and ethanol

I had my tank coated about 5 years ago and have been really pleased with it. I never could figure out what it was because the guy at the bike shop was very evasive about it; I finally am almost certain I know what it is....it's called Red-Kote. Both Mcycle-nut and Justin-Caise made reference to it about 5 years ago but I didn't see that until I did a search this morning (after learning the name elsewhere).

Anyhoooo, I checked the Red-Kote website, read the particulars and it does sound just great. More importantly, they claim that it is resistant to alchohol additives and that the others are not. If this is true, it's going to become more important. For example, our cutting-edge politicians here in California have decreed that all fuel sold in California must contain at least 10% ethanol by year end.

Anyway, I highly recommend the stuff. My tank looks as good inside as it did 5 years ago.\\/By the way, you can buy the stuff on Ebay.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Sounds like good stuff and good on them for making it alcohol resistant. MN has had 10% ethanol for some time. The boat people hate it cause it washes protective oil off which promotes corrosion. E85 (85% ethanol) vehicles must use special synthetic oils to prevent this. Ethanol is not too stabil and retains water. Dont leave it sitting in your tank too long. It goes bad fast.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Sounds like a great product! If it has lasted this long, you should be OK, I would think.

I just take tanks on my old bikes to a radiator shop. They sandblast the inside, completely prep it and bake on an epoxy coating. I had this done to tanks that were really rusty and have never had any problem with them.
      Total cost $35- $60.

Comment

Good!

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
        Sounds like a great product! If it has lasted this long, you should be OK, I would think.

I just take tanks on my old bikes to a radiator shop. They sandblast the inside, completely prep it and bake on an epoxy coating. I had this done to tanks that were really rusty and have never had any problem with them.
        Total cost $35- $60.
        Well, that sounds really good, too! I paid $80 for my tank to be coated but I think you can buy the stuff on Ebay for about $40 delivered...(which, to my way of thinking, means I got a fair deal). The inside of my tank looks like it was painted with red finger nail polish....and I don't think it looks any differently than when I brought the tank home 5 years ago.

By the way, their website says it won't degrade over time...which, of course, I don't believe...but I guess they figure it lasts for a long time, which is good enough for me.8-[
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
        X