Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire mounting direction on Chen Shin tires

Hello All;

I bought both front and rear Chen Shin tires for my GS 850G. Got a good deal from JC Whitney.

The tread pattern on both tires is like a set of chevrons (>>>>>)

The rear tire's "Rotation" arrow on the sidewall goes in the same direction as the chevrons (i.e. the tire rotates in the direction in which the chevrons point).

However the front tire's "Rotation" arrow on the sidewall is in the opposite direction (i.e. the tire rotates in the opposite direction in which the chevrons point).

To be as clear as possible, the tire pattern will look like:

>>>>>> motorcycle riding this direction --> <<<<<<<
    rear tire ............................................... front tire

This looks incorrect to me.

Can anyone advise whether this is correct or the "Rotation" arrow is wrong on one of the tires?

TIA.

Charles...

Mount according to markings. I've actually had someone see my Cheng Shins and say the exact same thing, but the tires are indeed marked correctly.

Comment

Thanks Grand Rouge and t3rmin!!!

Really appreciate it.

Charles...

Comment

Charles,

From your description I assume you have the HiMax 906/907 tires.
        I used them on my 77 GS550 and had 1 on the front of my GS850 for 2 years. They handled and wore well. The one on the front of my 850 lasted for 3 years and 2 rear tires. Currently have Dunlop 404s on the 850-got a good deal so thought i'd try em. Been on a year/ 6,000 miles and they need replacing. Handled great but didn't last. Going back to the HI Max.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ccs View Post
          Hello All;

To be as clear as possible, the tire pattern will look like:

>>>>>> motorcycle riding this direction --> <<<<<<<
          rear tire ............................................... front tire

This looks incorrect to me.

Charles...
          Funny ! I watched a real argument between a shop service man and an owner of an interceptor who had just had some tires mounted. It got pretty heated. Long story short...the customer is always right. The service guy remounted the front tire with the arrow running backwards. :-D
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by scotto58 View Post
            Charles,

From your description I assume you have the HiMax 906/907 tires.
            I used them on my 77 GS550 and had 1 on the front of my GS850 for 2 years. They handled and wore well. The one on the front of my 850 lasted for 3 years and 2 rear tires. Currently have Dunlop 404s on the 850-got a good deal so thought i'd try em. Been on a year/ 6,000 miles and they need replacing. Handled great but didn't last. Going back to the HI Max.

Scott
            I have 5000 on my bridgestone s-11 back tire and it still looks like it could go another 5000 at least.

Comment

The braking forces applied to your front wheel are opposite the acceleration forces of your rear wheel, hence the 'different' mounting.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                Funny ! I watched a real argument between a shop service man and an owner of an interceptor who had just had some tires mounted. It got pretty heated. Long story short...the customer is always right. The service guy remounted the front tire with the arrow running backwards. :-D
                I wonder if the customer will remember that argument when his front tire separates at 70mph.....best case scenario is probably rapid tire wear, in which case it'll probably bring about another heated argument.

Always follow the arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Doc View Post
                  The braking forces applied to your front wheel are opposite the acceleration forces of your rear wheel, hence the 'different' mounting.
                  Now that really makes lot of sense!! A good thing to remember.
                  Thanks.
                  Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Doc View Post
                    Huh?

The tires are both rotating in the same direction.

Charles...

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge
                      Yer welcome......and will you post a ride / handling / wear report some time? :-))
                      Well... I mounted the rear tire at 22,658 miles and mounted the new front tire at 28,715.

This puts 6,057 miles on the rear tire and the tread still looks fantastic. When I stick a penny into the tire, Lincoln's head is covered by the tread.

We'll see how much more mileage I get out of the rear tire (I'm thinking another 4,000 miles??).

The bike felt "thick" in the turns during the first 100 miles of mounting the front tire. It seems to be "settling in" but still feels like it won't turn as well as the old Dunlop (this Chen Shin is a little wider and not as rounded as the old Dunlop).

Charles...

Comment

Originally posted by ccs View Post
                        Huh?

The tires are both rotating in the same direction.

Charles...
                        looking at the bike from the right side, acceleration forces on the rear tire are clockwise, while braking forces on the front tire are counter-clockwise...

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                          I wonder if the customer will remember that argument when his front tire separates at 70mph.....best case scenario is probably rapid tire wear, in which case it'll probably bring about another heated argument.

Always follow the arrow.
                          That front Hi-Max tire design is as close to a Metzeler tread as you can get before getting sued. And I think it was designed by Metz for high water expulsion in wet weather conditions. Mounting it the wrong way probably makes this feature useless.

Comment

my bike came with a Metzeler up front. the treads looked 'backwards' i remember

Comment

Originally posted by NATEO View Post
                              looking at the bike from the right side, acceleration forces on the rear tire are clockwise, while braking forces on the front tire are counter-clockwise...
                              Like I said... HUH?

You're comparing apples (acceleration forces) to oranges (braking forces) <g>

The acceleration forces on BOTH tires clockwise, and the braking forces on BOTH tires are counter-clockwise. You're explanation makes absolutely no sense to me.

It seems to me that the chevron pattern on both tires should point in the same direction, and that direction should be forward (i.e., >>>>>>).

This, or so it seems to me, would allow water to be shunted out of the tread and away from the tire. Mounting the front tire so that the pattern is facing <<<<<<< would seem to capture water and make the bike more unstable in inclement weather.

Charles...

Comment

Working...
                              X