Pitted camchain adjuster pushrod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 49er View Post
    Sorry, I have just read this thread. If you are planning to keep the bike for ever, you should consider hard facing the pins bevelled face. This will ensure that the same problem doesn't return after a realitively short mileage. You can do it cheaply by arc welding some Philips 350 hardfacing elecrodes onto the bevelled slope. Then use Brian's suggestion to return the end to it's original shape. Case hardening is also an option, but could be more expensive, depending on the grade of steel the pin is made of.
    This is assuming that you haven't re-assembled it yet and fitted it back up to the bike.
    That's good advice. Thank you.

At the moment I just need to get the bike back on the road quickly. Car driving in London is a slow, frustrating business and we have congestion charging in the city centre (for cars - bikes are excluded).

I will be replacing the camchain and doing a top end rebuild over winter so I'll get the rod hardened at the same time.

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has replied to my thread.

I'm not a mechanic and this is the first bike that I've really worked on. I think the most I'd done before was to adjust a drive chain! The advice and sense of community on this forum is second to none. Respect to everyone involved :-D

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
      Sorry, I have just read this thread. If you are planning to keep the bike for ever, you should consider hard facing the pins bevelled face. This will ensure that the same problem doesn't return after a realitively short mileage. You can do it cheaply by arc welding some Philips 350 hardfacing elecrodes onto the bevelled slope. Then use Brian's suggestion to return the end to it's original shape. Case hardening is also an option, but could be more expensive, depending on the grade of steel the pin is made of.
      This is assuming that you haven't re-assembled it yet and fitted it back up to the bike.
      Where/how would one have this done?

Frankly, I was somewhat surprised to find that the bevel face wasn't hardened. It was easy to clean up, but I have to wonder when the pitting will come back.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Where/how would one have this done?

Frankly, I was somewhat surprised to find that the bevel face wasn't hardened. It was easy to clean up, but I have to wonder when the pitting will come back.
        Any general engineering workshop should be able to do this for you. You don't have to use Philips electrodes but something in that hardness range (300-450). If you go much higher than 450 you risk the chance of the surface cracking and chipping. You could even consider Philips MN. This is a manganese electrode and will work harden with impact. It is used mainly on digger buckets, pile drivers and bulldozer blades to slow down the effects of abrasion.
        I believe suzuki used cheaper grades of steel in some components on the later model 850's. The drive splines of the diff come to mind.
        After 80,000kms, my pin hasn't pitted/scored yet.
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I need help with the rebuild.

Specifically the oil seal. Which way up does it go?

I put it in with the flat side out but couldn't get the rod through without distorting the seal.

Then I tried it the other way up and the rod goes through fine. Is this right?

It doesn't look right.

Li'l help here...

Comment

The solid side of the oil seal should face outward and you put the rod thru from the back if that helps.There should only be one way that is goes in.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
              The solid side of the oil seal should face outward and you put the rod thru from the back if that helps.There should only be one way that is goes in.
              Ok thanks.

I'll try it again.

The lockshaft just wouldn't go through from the back with the seal that way round. Even with the seal out of the tensioner I still couldn't get it on the shaft that way round without dragging the inner surface with it so that the shaft won't turn :?

I'll try using a bit more oil on it.........

Comment

OK folks. Panic over.....

It's just very fiddly getting the lockshaft thru the oil seal but patience and perseverance has prevailed.

I've now got a nice clean tensioner all working smooth as silk ready to bolt back on to "that ****ing noise machine" (my neighbours words, not mine :-D)
                Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2007, 07:48 AM. Reason: expletive

Comment

Originally posted by janksolid View Post
                  Ok thanks.

I'll try it again.

The lockshaft just wouldn't go through from the back with the seal that way round. Even with the seal out of the tensioner I still couldn't get it on the shaft that way round without dragging the inner surface with it so that the shaft won't turn :?

I'll try using a bit more oil on it.........
                  Do a search on the cam chain tensioner rebuild and you will find bwringer's web sight on how to do this.It will make more sence than me trying to tell you.That's where I learned how to do it and he even has pictures to go by!!!

Comment

All done.....

Everything went on smoothly and the tensioner was doing it's job when I turned the crank.

I'm well pleased! This is easily the most complex job I've done on a bike so far but I'm inspired by my new found confidence. I'm looking forward to that top end job now.

Just been for a blast round the block and you just know I'm grinning.... :-D

Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this. Couldn't have done it without you. Hope to be able to put some knowledge back in one day....

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X