One step at a time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One step at a time

O.k. its been a few weeks and I now can truly say that I got my bike going. I have posted a couple carb questions and have gotten quite a few answers thanks.. After the rebuild them right way was established it worked. Go figure.. Now I hope to have the last dumb question, Ha ha I have read that the air filter needs to be installed for the system to work properly.. I would reinstall the filter but after 20 years of sitting it broke apart in my hands. Is it better to install an OEM style or aftermarket like K&N. Any help appreciated. Thanks[-o<

You can use an aftermarket filter inside your airbox as long as you keep the lid on.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I'd recommend an Emgo or Uni filter over a K&N, the K&N flows better but it's more hassle.

Now I get to sit back and watch the arguments begin! \\/

Comment

'Is that the five minute argument or the full half hour, Sir'

I haven't got a clue what your talking about...

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
          'Is that the five minute argument or the full half hour, Sir'

I haven't got a clue what your talking about...

Suzuki mad
          Airbox vs Pods of course!! Not buying into it myself!!
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jake View Post
            I would reinstall the filter but after 20 years of sitting it broke apart in my hands. Is it better to install an OEM style or aftermarket like K&N. Any help appreciated. Thanks
            Depends on what you mean by "better".

Stock filter is somewhat restrictive but in the confines of the airbox it works well. Cheap and easy to clean are it's positive attributes. Downside is durability...well, 20 years with the same filter can hardly be called poor durability. What was the question again?
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
              Airbox vs Pods of course!! Not buying into it myself!!
              Actually it was K&N vs Uni or Emgo, the pods issue is a whole other can of worms.......

'Cuz everyone knows pods are superior.\\/

(running away now)

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                Now I get to sit back and watch the arguments begin! \\/
                OK.

First, I don't know if the Uni or Emgo are cleanable or if you need to buy a new one when they get dirty?

I'm using the K&N, because I like a completly clean filter every so often, and I'd just rather clean the K&N rather than bother buying a new filter. But I am biased because I enjoy maintaining my bike. It's just a personal preference for me.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2007, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Uni foam filters are completely cleanable, it's what I was running on my Shadow. Yeah, it doesn't carry the same warranty, but if you read the fine print unless you use K&N products to clean and maintain your K&N filter, it voids the warranty. And the Uni's a LOT cheaper.

Comment

quick dummy question to throw in what are pods? the filters to put in place of the air box?

Comment

Originally posted by justmount1 View Post
                      quick dummy question to throw in what are pods? the filters to put in place of the air box?
                      These are pods which would replace the airbox:

I think the original post was to ask whether it's OK to replace the paper element with something aftermarket.

I run a K&N filter in my 1150 (all stock). I like the fact that I will never have to buy another. Cleaning it is no big deal, and I think it flows better.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

WOW that is a clean engine. If I get mine looking half that good I'll be ecstatic.

Comment

are the pods the best way to go and where can i get them? i think they would look nice on any bike

Comment

Originally posted by justmount1 View Post
                            are the pods the best way to go?
                            I can just see pages and pages of debate over this.......

Here's the problem with pods: You have to rejet your carbs. I personally prefer them, and I really didn't have a choice with this bike because it was already modified this way, but rejetting is a pain in the.....

If you do run pods and rejet, you will see an increase in power and a decrease in fuel economy. Bottom line.

As far as where to get them, anywhere from JC Whitney to Z1 Enterprises, Ebay, Cycle Recycle, etc. You must make sure they are the right size. For instance, my GS750EX runs 54mm. That is the outside diameter of the carburetor intakes. And read the fine print: sometimes the price is for two pods only, or even individual. Jet kits are probably cheapest at Z1.

Comment

thank you but for now i think i am going to stick to good economy once i get her running at least

Comment

Working...
                              X