Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil cooler working too well? Oil not getting hot enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler working too well? Oil not getting hot enough?

My '83 GS1100ES has an aftermarket oil cooler, and I am wondering if it is working too well; i.e., not letting the oil get hot enough. I have never see the temperature go above 180 or 190 degrees, even on 90+ degree days. On cooler days the oil temp gauge doesn't move.

I did some searching on this forum and the consensus was that "normal" oil operating temperatures were between 210 and 240 degrees. I have never seen temps like that.

My concern is that the oil might not be getting hot enough to allow all contaminants to be removed, kinda like if you only drive your car short distances.

Thoughts?

ThreeTimer.

180 to 190 F shouldnt be a problem and the temperature you cite actually sound a bit high even for an air cooled engine

Comment

The motor should reach at least 220F to boil out built up condensation inside the engine
      Last edited by chef1366; 06-29-2007, 02:40 AM.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm considering removing the oil cooler. I don't ride in mega-hot, stop-and-go conditions. The hoses coming off the oil filter cover make removing the filter a pain in the a$$. And if my bike's oil isn't getting hot enought I'm probably sludging things up. I like the idea of an oil cooler, but it seems to me it is not a good fit for my riding style.

Maybe I'll just cover it with flashing for a week or two and see what happens, temp-wise.

Comment

What you might consider is making a cover & covering part or all of it depending on the weather

Comment

Working...
          X