Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bike wax????

GS750GUY here again!
    This time I have a question regarding what is the best bike wax available on the market. I'm sure all of you have your favorites.
    I have heard that for an additional barrier against the inevitible fuel spill there are wax formulas out there that contain acrylic which is an excellent barrier against fuel spills. I already know some of you out there are going to respond by saying "just don't spill the fuel". But honestly, how many of you out there have owned bikes for a number of years that can honestly say they have NEVER EVER gotten one drop of fuel on their custom paint job?
    Has anyone ever heard of these acrylic based wax type finishes and are they any good?
    I appreciate your help!!
    Thanks,
    GS750Guy......Harold

I'm using Turtle Wax Liquid Ice. Easy to apply & buff. Best thing I like is it doesn't leave a white residue, especially on emblems.

Comment

Thanks Tom for your reply. Yes, I was looking at this one in the auto parts store last night. Does it contain acrylic?
      GS750GUY

Comment

I've got to go with Mcquires Black Gold...on this one. I've tried them all and it seems to stand up the best! .02 cents

Comment

I became a (self proclaimed ) expert in waxing from 25 years spent maintaining my boats.

You asked for the best. On my bike and cars, I use quality, carnuba based paste waxes. The brands I use myself are targeted to the boating market, but a pure wax for fiberglass gelcoat is not any different than one for autos.

*Note* For longest finish life, don't use cleaner waxes unless your finish is in bad shape and really needs cleaning. Cleaning waxes have an abrasive quality that over many uses can degrade the original finish. Only use straight waxes on paint that is in good shape.

The absolute best protecting and longest lasting wax I've found, and seen verified in boating test reports, is Colinite Fleetwax paste #885. http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-fleetwax-.html
          I haven't seen this in stores, but have always bought online.

The second best is Trewax 4 Seasons paste. http://www.myboatstore.com/trewax.htm This one is more widely available in marine stores, and possibly in auto stores.

I've read several independant tests of waxes over the years, claiming these are the best, and my experience simply backs this up. Waxing a boat is a bigger project than waxing a bike or car, so I try to use the best, longest lasting wax I can find.

"Summer Sojourn" just after a fresh waxing in the boat yard. This boat is seven years old now, and sits out in the weather 365 days a year. I've never had to buff it out, because the Collinite, applied by hand once or twice a year, has pretty much prevented the finish from oxidizing.

I have to admitt I don't know how these do against fuel spills, and I know there are other specialty auto waxes, like Zymol, and Zaino that I have no experience with.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2007, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I have that Liquid Ice stuff, work really nice on my VW New Beetle makes it chiny and all; however if I recall correctly that acts more like a polish than a wax, makes things shiney but won't add much of a protective layer over the paint.

Generally I make a point of using a hard wax twice a year, spring and fall and liquid ice for all the inbetweens.

Comment

lemon Pledge is the only thing I have used on my bikes in the last 25 years. Removes bugs from the windshield with no muss no fuss.
              V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Best Bike Wax

Anybody out there ever heard of or used a product called "Liquid Glass"?
                I've seen it in the auto parts stores. $20.00 per can.
                GS750Guy.........Harold

Comment

still no answers about the acrylic stuff... im very interested...

Comment

I'll bump this. Since I finally got the bike out and running around I want to put a good hard solid base wax on to help protect the (as of now) unprotected paint. If anyone could recommend an easy to find "hard wax" that would be great. Thanks! If anyone has found the answer to 80gs750s acrylic question, all the better

Comment

Collinite Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476

“The Permanent Auto Wax”

Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 by Collinite is guaranteed to outshine and outlast any other car wax or protective coating. That’s why Collinite calls it the permanent auto wax. Get a full year of paint protection from this detergent-proof, weather-proof car wax.

Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 is a paste wax that behaves like a paint sealant. One application provides up to a year of protection through any and all weather conditions. It provides a clear barrier against rain, salt, pollution, bugs, the sun, and all the typical road grime.

Its incredible durability is matched only by a few select paint sealants on the market, yet Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 is a wax. If you enjoy the application and appearance of a carnauba wax but want the durability more typical of a sealant, Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 is the best of both worlds.

Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 is a thick carnauba wax packaged in a tin can, reminiscent of the paste waxes of 40 years ago. Likewise, it has the look and consistency you’d expect from a high quality car wax: a thick paste that gives the impression of tough, durable protection. And it should because Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 will last through an entire year of rain, snow, and sun.

Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 is a popular choice for winter paint protection. Its durable protection stands up to road salt and ice like no wax you’ve used before. Collinite’s headquarters are in New York so it’s not surprising that they produce such an outstanding winter wax.

You can enhance the shine of Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 by adding multiple thin layers. This is a true wax with no cleaning properties. For the best results, use Collinite Sapphire PreWax Cleaner before applying #476.

We recommend applying Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 with a Porter Cable 7424 to achieve the necessary thin coat. Applying the wax too thickly will result in difficult removal.

Here’s a technique used during our testing: Lightly dampen a finishing pad with XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner. Use a putty knife to spread a small amount of wax onto the pad. We used the gray finishing pad by Lake Country. Spread the wax over one panel at a speed of 4000 OPM on a Porter Cable 7424. For easiest removal, apply the wax and then remove it, panel by panel. We used a microfiber bonnet over a lambswool pad. Then we went back with a Cobra Super Plush Deluxe for a final hand-buffing. One coat will provide great protection but multiple coats are no problem since Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax contains no cleaners.

To apply the wax by hand, use a slightly damp applicator.

For excellent, all-weather paint protection for an entire year in a paste wax, Collinite Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 has no competitors. Use it as a base coat under another pure wax or by itself for an attractive finish that lasts.

Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2007, 09:20 AM.

Comment

you guys wax your bikes ????

Comment

Originally posted by vwdoctor3 View Post
                          you guys wax your bikes ????
                          Yes. Once when I first buy my new bike, and a second time when I go to sell it.
                          When I do wax, my chem of choice is Eagle One Cycle detailer. The stuff is awesome! Quickly and easily buffs out to a georgeous shine.

Comment

Acrylic wax!

I started using Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax. It's a synthetic polymer wax and is incredible! I was given a few samples at a classic car show and was amazed at how easy it was to apply and how nice it made my bike look. Also, it seems to stay on much longer than any other wax I've tried.

I recently decided to use it on my new Beemer and it was fantastic. It's really slippery; when you're done you can slide (push like shuffleboard) a cloth across the car with almost no effort.

Last, but not least, it comes in liquid or paste (I have only used the liquid) and is sold at Wal-mart for about 13 bucks.:-D (It's also available at most auto parts stores.)
                            Last edited by chuckycheese; 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM.
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Awesome guys, thanks for the tips! I was really looking for something local, so I'll probably try the meguirs nxt stuff. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X