Cam Chain tensioner oil LEAK!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain tensioner oil LEAK!!!!

ok my tensioner is leaking, but not from the two bolts that hold it on... its coming out where the spring loaded hadle thing is.... it leaks quite a bit too...

what do i do about this? is there a way to tighten it? im at a loss and it leaks enough to pool on the engine and drip on the ground after i park it!

i plugged the breather tube that used to go to the airbox... could this have something to do with it? i didnt know if maybe the crankcase has too much pressure in it without that breather and now its forcing it out the cam tensioner.....

Comment

oil leak

Unplugg Your C Case Vent. The Gasket Ontop Is Restrictive Enough. I Put A Small Crank Case Breater Like K&n Make. Good Luck S.n.

Comment

Yes you can't plug that breather hose or you will get excessive crankcase pressures causing leaks all over. They make little breather filters or pods that you can attach to the hose to keep the oil off of the engine. The tensioner has a seal and a couple of o-rings in it and they can be replaced.

Comment

There is a seal on the shaft that the Kurled knob turns on. Its probably bad and needs to be replaced. I doubt it has anything to do with the breather tube.

Sometimes this seal isn't on the parts fiche'. When I get home tonight I"ll look up the part number for you. Its the same for practically all GS tensioners.

You should leave your breather tube open.

Comment

i will unplug the tube then and see if it helps any! if not then i will have to rebuild the tensioner with new seals!

Comment

oh and yea. thanks for the fast responses and good info guys!

Comment

Like I said earlier, on some models the seal you may need isn't listed or shown on the parts schematic. You may not have this problem, but if you run into it (like I did on my '79), I have a part number you can try.

Suzuki part no. 09264-10006 is that seal for my tensioner and I'm virtually certain it would be the same for yours.

Comment

hey sweet man, where could i get this if i need it?

would i have to go to suzuki? or is there an online carrier that has them?

Comment

i didnt mean "hey sweet man" i meant "hey, sweet man!"

like that is sweet man, not your a sweet man..

i read the post and it sounded way too gay for me

Comment

Do NOT order as STOCK Suzuki tensioner! Call APE at 661-256-7309 & order the MANUAL tensioner for the GS 1100. Ray.

Comment

what is the addvantage of the manual one? and how much does it cost?

Comment

I don't know about manual tensioners at all, or what the issues are there. But I do know you can rebuild your stock tensioner for a few bucks with all the seals and maybe a new spring.

If you decide to go the rebuild route, I would at least start here..............
                          http://www.z1enterprises.com/ Ask for Jeff at ext. 111

Comment

i saw the manual ones, they are $50.. i would be afraid i had it set wrong....

i will rebuild this one if it needs it, im gonna ride it more today and see if it still leaks, i unplugged my c-case vent

Comment

If you buy the manual tensioner & just ASK one of us that use them you can learn how to adjust it & you will probably never go back! They are trouble free & will never back out, if locked down correctly, & will not cause you terminal engine damage. Seriously, they are pretty bulletproof! Ask Big Jay, the owner of APE who makes them. Go to a drag race & look at all the GSs & KZs there & count the ones that DON'T have one. There is a reason. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X