No announcement yet.

Cam Chain tensioner oil LEAK!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The chances are very good that since you have unplugged your crankcase breather vent, you will not get enough internal pressure to force any oil through the cam chain tensioner seal. As for replacing it with a APE manual tensioner, if you're drag racing, have a high hp race engine and are constantly running it at max power, the APE tensioner is a good idea. For the street and about 99% of everyday riders, the stock tensioner is fine. In about 750K road miles, I've never had a stock tensioner fail.

Earl

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
    i saw the manual ones, they are $50.. i would be afraid i had it set wrong....

i will rebuild this one if it needs it, im gonna ride it more today and see if it still leaks, i unplugged my c-case vent
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

well i just rode it up to the hospital, and i came in so quickly that i forgot to check if it was leaking when i got off... so i will check it as soon as i go down there...

Comment

well i just rode it up to the hospital, and i came in so quickly that i forgot to check if it was leaking when i got off... so i will check it as soon as i go down there...
        There is a sight that will show you how to rebuild the tensioner.Use the search and you will find it.I did mine a couple of months ago and it only cost 7 bucks for the parts. There is the gasket 1 seal and 2 o-rings.I even bought a new spring cause it was only 2 bucks.I'm pretty sure it's bwringer's home web sight.It has a step by step process.

Comment

well i put a good 50 miles on it, and it doesnt appear to be leaking now... im pretty sure that was it. ill continue to watch it and see what happens...

thanks a lot guys and if i need to rebuild it i will surely look that up and do so

Comment

well i put a good 50 miles on it, and it doesnt appear to be leaking now... im pretty sure that was it. ill continue to watch it and see what happens...

thanks a lot guys and if i need to rebuild it i will surely look that up and do so
            That's the way mine started.One day it would leak ,the next day it wouldnt.Then my starter housing drain hole started leaking oil.That's were the oil goes when your riding.It blows around on the starter cover and down inside till it leaks out the starter drain hole.

Comment

yea mine was running there too.... then when i would park, it would run down on the ground....

Comment

It's a cheap fix and takes about an hour if you dont mind taking your tank and carbs off.

Comment

ive got the tank and carb removal thing down to a perfect science

Comment

Than it ought to be a piece of cake to rebuild the tensioner!

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                      Than it ought to be a piece of cake to rebuild the tensioner!
                      Especially if you follow these easy to follow instructions!
                      http://bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html :-D
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Yep! that's what I did!

Comment

Working...
                        X