Inaccurate speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inaccurate speedo

I find out today ( start of week 5 in the dealers hands) my bike can't be certified as the speedometer is way off ( shows 120kmph in a 50kmph zone says the dealer service manager). I'm thinking the gauge, sender or cable are gummed up from years of sitting (7 at least) and a cleaning will likely fix it[-o<.

Has anyone any inisght into this and if so what might be the cure?

If the speedo is shot what other models would have the same guage? Mine is an 83 GS 750E.

Any and all assistance is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Spyug.

WOW...they just won't let go, will they. This is something that you can do yourself. Pull the cable off at the speedo head and start by lubing the cable. No, this won't fix the problem, but it is needed. Then remove your guage and turn it upside down and give it a good shot of WD-40 and a little light weight oil, and leave it upside down, on the face, overnight. Next day, reinstall. Don't over oil / lube the guage or you'll be tearing it apart to clean the face and lense.

Comment

I cartwheeled mine into a cornfield many years ago, and broke the inner case that holds the tach/speedo guts. After replacing it, it reads exactly half of the actual speed. I think it has to do with the magnets in the speedo that move the needle.
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I have the bike back from the shop today and I will be working on the speedo tomorrow.

There is not much information about the speedo in my shop manual. Before I tear into it does anyone have a schematic covering it? Or can anyone refer me to anymore info on the subject.

I'm hoping the problem is just a sluggish cable and a good hose out & lube will sort it.

Anyone else ever have this issue?

As always i appreciate your input.

Cheers,
        Spyug.

Comment

You may want to replace the speedo gear that mounts on the wheel. I had faulty readings and that did the trick.

Comment

I don't know about the speedo, but when I got my 750L the tach cable was broken. So I replaced it but the tach was very sluggish, but with about a weeks time it starte working good and has ever since. I like the idea of lubbing it. I have also seen used speedos on Ebay.

Greg O.

Comment

Working...
            X