RPM at Speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM at Speed?

ok, since this is my first street bike, i was wondering if my tach is correct.. i have not had it over 6500 rpm cause she sounds like she is gonna blow up... but i have never heard a gs before mine...

in 5th gear at 55mph my tach reads 4k. does this sound right?

thanks for any input guys

Sounds right to me. The 750 might be geared just a little different from my (wife's) 850, and hers is doing 14 mph / 1000 rpm. That would be 56 mph at 4,000 rpm. Your gear ratios might be such that you will be doing 52 at 4000.

Another thing to consider...your speedo is likely off just a little, too. An indicated 55 mph is probably an actual 52 or so. The speeds posted above are what is displayed on her speedo, which is very close to what is indicated on the GPS, thanks to using a slightly larger (100/90-19) front tire.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
      ok, since this is my first street bike, i was wondering if my tach is correct.. i have not had it over 6500 rpm cause she sounds like she is gonna blow up... but i have never heard a gs before mine...

in 5th gear at 55mph my tach reads 4k. does this sound right?

thanks for any input guys
      4000 @ 55 sounds about right for a 750.

Never had it over 6,500, eh? You're missing out! That's where the power curve kicks in. \\/ You can run it to redline... she won't blow up if she's in good order. If I'm getting on it hard, I shift at 500 rpms below redline.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        4000 @ 55 sounds about right for a 750.

Never had it over 6,500, eh? You're missing out! That's where the power curve kicks in. \\/ You can run it to redline... she won't blow up if she's in good order. If I'm getting on it hard, I shift at 500 rpms below redline.
        You got that right! Things don't even start to get interesting until you get over 5000 rpm!

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          He's not kidding. On my 750 it's like somebody flipped a switch at 6-6.5k. "Wow" describes it well.

Comment

ok, i did read a lot on here that these gs's love to be rode hard above 6-7k but i havent had mine up there yet...

i did notice that above 6k she starts sounding really smooth... the exhaust note changes to a higher smoother pitch and she levels out really good...

she actually pulls really good up to 6-7k, enough to scare me...

ill have to get a good stretch of open road and open her up above 7k...

500 below redline!!!!! holy @&#^ thats nuts!!! this thing would be screaming her a$$ off.

thanks for the input guys, i have heard that the tscc's are fast and pull hard, i just have been a little bit of a wimp with mine so far...

i want to get really comfortable with the bike before we push it that far

Comment

500 below redline!!!!! holy @&#^ thats nuts!!! this thing would be screaming her a$$ off.
              :mrgreen::mrgreen:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

damn, i wish the vid didnt have the harley in it, then i could listen to just the suzuk!

Comment

ok, i did read a lot on here that these gs's love to be rode hard above 6-7k but i havent had mine up there yet...

i did notice that above 6k she starts sounding really smooth... the exhaust note changes to a higher smoother pitch and she levels out really good...

she actually pulls really good up to 6-7k, enough to scare me...

ill have to get a good stretch of open road and open her up above 7k...

thanks for the input guys, i have heard that the tscc's are fast and pull hard, i just have been a little bit of a wimp with mine so far...

i want to get really comfortable with the bike before we push it that far
                  Screaming, yeah, that's good!!!! I love screaming!!! Crank it up dude and enjoy!!LOL

Comment

damn, i wish the vid didnt have the harley in it, then i could listen to just the suzuk!
                    How's this? :-D

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

sweet,

i got her on the interstate on the way here..... still only got it to 7k...
                      before i knew it i was going 75... i think my speedo stops at 80.

man she really pulls hard

Comment

sweet,

i got her on the interstate on the way here..... still only got it to 7k...
                        before i knew it i was going 75... i think my speedo stops at 80.

man she really pulls hard
                        The bike wont stop at 80!!!

Comment

i hope not!!! hehehe..

i was doing 75 in a 60 and didnt want to push much harder with the traffic around... plus she screams so damn loud with that v&h on there....

i didnt expect any kind of marketable street exhaust for a suzuki to be so loud!!!! i love this thing

Comment

even my stock exhaust can get loud when it wants to show off!!! I wish i could find a v&h for my 650.I guess none off the exhaust makers consider the 650 worthy of having a quality 4 into 1 system Most start with the 750.

Comment

That is about right. At 70mph my 750L runs about 51 or5200. You will notice when you accelerate wind it up to above 5000. Once it goes over 5000, it is like the afterburner is turned on. I don't do it often, as I like to baby it a little, but it is kinda fun to get the kick in the pants feeling once you hit 5G's.

Greg O

Comment

Working...
                              X