I need help with metric sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with metric sizes

Today most mirrors for motorcycles are 10mm But 10mm by what.
    I have to tap my kz1300 8mm mirror mounts to accept todays 10 mm mirrors.
    Can anyone help me.
    I was also told to first drill the 8mm threads out with a 9 mm drill and then use a 10 mm BOTTOM TAP to do the job correctly since the mirror mounts on the bke are not througj holes.
    Any and all advice is needed please.:?

Most of them are 10mm X 1.25. I think you would use 9mm metric drill bit or 11/32 std. To be safe, you might drill and tap a test hole in some junk aluminum first. The bottom tap is just flat on the bottom, not pointed like your normal taps. That way you can get threads almost all the way to the bottom of the hole.

Comment

Scotty,

I just checked some extra mirrors in my parts box. You are looking for a 10 x 1.25 tap. :-D

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED

I went outside to see if the new mirrors fit into my suzuki gs1100ed. Thet went right in as they should have.
        I looked at the threads and they sure looked like they would fit the KAWA.
        They are mounted on the Kawa now.
        I was given bad information by a dealer when I went to buy mirrors. Well, I got off easy.
        I was having a goofy day since this morning Rocky and I went to a radio shack to buy a few resistors for my signal light mod. They said they didnt sell resistors. WHAT!!!!!!! We went to a diferent radio shack ablut 10 miles in the other direction and they had resistors. Not exactly what i wanted but ill use resistance in paralell to achieve my desired wattage and resistance.
        I'll take the bike for a run tomorrow to adjust the mirrors.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Scotty,

I just checked some extra mirrors in my parts box. You are looking for a 10 x 1.25 tap. :-D

Thanks steve. All i could find was a 10X1.25 also. I guess i was given lots of wrong info today but it all turned out ok. I really wasnt looking foreward to messing with the mirrors since i am knee deep in cleaning up the wiring for the diferent mods i have on my gs1100ed.
          Its nice to have folks respond wit helpfull advice. Its encouraging.

Comment

Do you just have the mirror mounts for the KZ or do you also have the rest of what they mount to? 8-[

I had a '79 KZ1300 (serial #1809) that I enjoyed immensely for 4 1/2 years until we blew a rear tire on the way home from vacation. Totalled the bike and the trailer. Since I had 76,000+ rather rambunctious miles on it , it would also have needed an engine rebuild, besides the body work (and there was lots of that) to bring it back to nicely rideable status. We parked the bike (wreck), went into family mode. 17 years later, I got a Voyager 1300 to ride along with all my Wing-riding friends. Enjoyed that bike for about 5 years, then resigned myself to a Wing. :shock:

(The picture in the link above is at the '81 Aspencade Rally in New Mexico, where I came home with 3rd place in the KZ1300 class \\/)

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X