Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argh. Cam chain tensioner parts escaped... Can I temporary lock it to manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argh. Cam chain tensioner parts escaped... Can I temporary lock it to manual?

So I noticed a light clatter coming from the top end after a long ride this week. I put it away intending to check valve clearances (maybe a tappet screw worked loose?). Finally got around to it today, and after checking all the valves and tweaking them a bit I happened to notice my ACCT nut had come loose and the spring, knurled nut, and nut were gone (ARGH!).

I'm fairly sure the motor is alright and the chain didn't skip a tooth or anything since the cam marks all seemed to line up right during the valve adjust and the motor was running great. And the noise from the cam chain was very slight.

But that leaves me without a functioning ACCT and I have a weekly 200 mile business trip coming up on Tuesday for which I was very much hoping to ride the bike!

Any idea if I can put a little tension on it and use the lock screw to lock it in place for a temporary fix? Would that really be any different than having a manual tensioner?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2007, 11:22 PM.

I wouldn't. Tom has one.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
      So I noticed a light clatter coming from the top end after a long ride this week. I put it away intending to check valve clearances (maybe a tappet screw worked loose?). Finally got around to it today, and after checking all the valves and tweaking them a bit I happened to notice my ACCT nut had come loose and the spring, knurled nut, and nut were gone (ARGH!).

I'm fairly sure the motor is alright and the chain didn't skip a tooth or anything since the cam marks all seemed to line up right during the valve adjust and the motor was running great. And the noise from the cam chain was very slight.

But that leaves me without a functioning ACCT and I have a weekly 200 mile business trip coming up on Tuesday for which I was very much hoping to ride the bike!

Any idea if I can put a little tension on it and use the lock screw to lock it in place for a temporary fix? Would that really be any different than having a manual tensioner?
      Check for a second hand adjuster at a breakers yard. I had the same thing happen to my 850 just after I bought it. I sourced a GS1000 spare and just changed the spring, knurled adjuster and nut over. Made sure it was good and tight (blue loctite) and no problems ever since.
      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Yeah I've got the loctite ready this time! I had done a bwringer on it recently so I have only myself to blame! ;-)

I still may "go manual" on it for a few days of scootin' around town (now I'm curious), but hopefully Tom's can get to me by Tuesday 'cause I don't think I'd want to do that for 4hrs of high-RPM riding...

Comment

How exactly do you propose "going manual" ? You'd have to run the motor while you hold the tensioner and lock the screw down. Seems like a three handed job. I usually don't have much luck with those kinds of jobs. BTW, same thing happened to me but I found all the parts laying on top of the engine.

Comment

Well I was going to turn the crank with a wrench...

Anyway I tried it and you're right, bad idea. ;-)

Comment

Working...
            X