Bike won't start when hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike won't start when hot.

I have an 81 GS 1100 and when I shut it off and try to restart it after about 10 min. it will not even fire. I don't know if it is vapor locking or what. Its getting frustrating, run into a store, come out and my bike won't start. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

are you getting spark. will it turn over. what is your battery voltage. points or electronic. do you have fuel or a blockage.

Comment

Yes it turns over and has spark. electronic ignition. I will check voltage. I'm pretty sure its getting gas because it smells like its flooding.

Comment

You have verified spark at the moment it won't start on all plugs? The igniters when they are ready to fail have heat issues.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          You have verified spark at the moment it won't start on all plugs? The igniters when they are ready to fail have heat issues.
          No I didn't check spark when it happened. Next time it happens I will. I just checked the voltage and its at 12.8

Comment

A low battery is a common cause of this. It may start OK cold, but heat increases resistance. Fully charge the battery and top off water, check when completely warmed up for correct voltage. If it's getting old and losing its charge, replace.
            If not battery related, and not knowing the overall state of tune, I might try adjusting the mixture screws on your CV carbs. It's quick and easy and you just keep a record of any adjustments and you can put them back to where they were if you want. With warming up, your mixture will richen somewhat. Leaning the screws may help. Generally, these screws should be adjusted using the "highest rpm method". I'd try that next because it's easy to do, may be the cure, and if not, you can put things back easily and go to the next thing. If your screws are still factory capped, then adjustment shouldn't be needed, however, dirt or old fuel/varnish build up can accumulate in the air jet/pilot circuit passages and cause your problem.
            If not battery/carb related, another cause can be a dirty starter. The commutator can get dirty or worn and the brushes can wear out or make poor contact too. Heat worsens a starter problem.
            Could be other things too. Even a dirty air filter can cause this, which I meant to mention earlier.
            Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 06-30-2007, 11:16 PM.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X