Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap alternative to carb sync adapters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12" of mercury is 12' of water, and yes, they pull that much vacuum. on the one I had with pods (lower vacuum), it was no problem to do, but the other two I ran out of space in my 12' garage.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

If you are using a single U-Tube, connect cylinder 3 to one end and then the other cylinder to the other. There will be no displacement if the two carbs are in sync. You could use a four-way valve from a fish store for carbs 1,2, and 4 so you don't have to shut the engine off each time (or just put a valve on the #3 side while switching carbs.

Comment

pricey toy

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Sometime this fall or winter, I'm probably going to try and browbeat some of the Indy-area riders into chipping in on a Morgan Carbtune. I played with one yesterday, and me likey.

In the meantime, you're welcome to use my mercury sticks if you can make it 45 minutes down the road!
        I synchronized my 81 GS1100G last night with the 'Carbtune Pro' It was a little more expensive than I was hoping, but it works great. The old beast is actually idling and makes smooth power just off idle. I still think the old mercury sticks are better and Motion Pro makes a new version that uses a 'non-mercury' fluid. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/syncpro/
        Unfortunately, they've upped the price. I just missed a brand new old stock nercury version on ebay last month (went for 61!).

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
          Thanks, Killer.

Has anyone tried this kind of meter? It is electronic and only compares the readings of two cylinders at a time and shows the difference.

It costs $75.
          I have had this tool for a couple of years now... it's great... but the adaptors I received with it, as I found out yesterday, MAY not fit the carbs on my 77 GS400. I say MAY because they're damn difficult to turn in by hand. I am going to Dremel a slot in the ends so I can use a screwdriver to turn them. When I do get around to it I'll post the results.

I was amazed I even found the adapters... I don't need them at all on the Bing's on the BMW.

It has, for the record, made syncing the carbs on the airhead very easy. Engine is smooth as glass after.

Comment

Working...
          X