Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tach whining and not reading properly...Fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach whining and not reading properly...Fix?

So, I found an almost-correct cluster for my '83 GS1100GL. It came off a GS650GL from '83. The lights all work right and the speedo works right. The thing mounted up fine and looks great. The only problem is the tach isn't reading right and makes a nice whining sound when the tach cable is connected and the engine is running. Is there some trick to installing the tach cable properly that I missed, or is it just a "stab 'er in and screw the cap down" type thing? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

did you take the cable out of the cable jacket and clean and lube it ?Be careful doing this ,there are little washers on each end .

Comment

could be the cable or the spring inside the tach is it reading high or low?

Comment

The tach is reading low most of the time and it responds to changes very slowly. The tach also makes a nasty vibrating/whining noise once it gets warmed up.

Comment

take it out have a look at the spring mine was rusty and gummed up

Comment

The cable worked fine with the old tach. I guess I should have noted that. What spring are you talking about?

Comment

Mine did that when I replaced my tacho an old tacho I had in the shed. I took it off and drenched it with RP7 (Spray lube) and used a drill with a old cable end to spin the tach whilst continually spraying. It came good but isn't the best instrument in the world, could probably do with a overhaul but it does work good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
              X