gas spewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas spewing

My bike is leaking/dumping/spewing gas out of 3 and 4 and the vent between them. That's not fuel efficient.

I finally got this (my first) bike running after a month of engine rebuild and carb cleaning. This bike started for the first time yesterday. Super.

Now I get to deal with bike running problems instead of bike not running problems.

It's an 80 gs 550e
    carbs dipped and clean
    airscrew backed out 3.5

I did have trouble removing the brass bushing thing that holds the float bowl needle in all these carbs. I may have taken it a bit out of round with the vise grips, but tried to check that the needles moved freely. Also, I don't have the airbox in yet, which I know is not kosher. Petcock doesn't flow unless there is suction and then it flows freely (no prime on this petcock strangly).

Not sure what else to add. The engine stays running and all the pipes are hot. The gas comes right out of the carbs after the engine is running a bit. Are my float needles getting stuck in my out of round brass needle guide thingies? 1 and 2 arefine. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2007, 07:31 PM.

Did you check your float height before reassembly?

Comment

yes, float height spot on

Comment

Did you replace the o-rings?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

yes, o rings replaced.

Comment

Sounds like you may have foreign material in the tank which is fouling the float needles. Any rust?
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

the gas is clean

Comment

Couple of things could be happenning, float needle sticking or when you installed the seats one of the o-rings may have gotten shaved off a little. I've done the last one myself before. A little oil on the ring helps it slide into its bore without shaving an edge off.

Comment

Had the same thing happen with a friend's carbs. The float needles didn't have little keeper thingies like on my carbs, so upon reassembly, one of them got cocked down and to the side. Overflow was so rapid that way it did come out the vent tubes. Pull 'em out and check those needles. Best to check for leaks on the bench before going through the hassle of re-mounting them again, too.

Comment

good idea, i'll check them again tomorrow and do a bench test. the brass seats aren't supposed to have o rings on the inside, are they?

Comment

Bike Bandit shows them. They are probably the root of your problem if they didn't get replaced.

Comment

with gas coming out of the carbs should I change the oil?

Comment

Check the oil for gasoline smell, if present, then yes, change the oil. If not, and you're not scheduled for a change, don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X