Odd turn signal issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd turn signal issue...

So, I have a strange turn signal problem with my '83 GS1100GL. The bike's turn signals worked for a while after I reconnected the rear lights, but they stopped working. When they did work, it would take them a few seconds to come on. Sounded like a faulty relay or turn signal control module. Now, the relay clicks once, the rear turn signal for whichever side comes on and stays on, but the front signal does not. The front running lights are on.

Where is the relay located on this bike? The turn signal control module? Anyone have any suggestions on which one is the culprit?

Thanks again!

on my 83 gs550e the relay is under the seat, behind the battery it has an "L" shaped adapter. If you can't find a cheap one shoot me an email i just picked one up from a local shop for ~$8

Comment

Cool; I'll give it a look tomorrow. I should be able to find one somewhere in town. Thanks.

Comment

Found the flasher lurking under the right side cover. It's a Nippondenso FU294CD. I wonder if anyone in town will carry them after all...I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Comment

They are all the same FYI any 12v blinker relay should work

Comment

That's good to know. I bet Wal-Mart doesn't have anything handy, otherwise I'd go get one tonight to try. I'll hit up the local auto-parts stores tomorrow. Thanks again.

Just out of curiosity, where do you find a new Turn Signal Control Unit?
            Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2007, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Three flashers purchased, none work. At least with the old one I get my turn signal cluster light coming on and the rear signal on the side I turn on comes on. I guess I'll call the motorcycle shop tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Comment

Fixed. Took ye olde '83 Suzuki motorcycle wiring diagram book out in to the garage and spent some quality time inside the headlight bucket tonight. The gray and black/white-stripe wires were fine; only the black wires from each signal weren't hooked up right. Found where they go and, after plugging them in, everything works. The relay still makes odd clicking noises and takes a second or two longer to start flashing than it should, but I'll worry about that later.

Comment

add some gound wires from the motor to the frame, motor to battery or at least clean up the factorys ones. you can test by useing a algator clips and some wire to find witch gound is losing contact.

Comment

Working...
                  X