1000 big bore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000 big bore

Trying to gather advice or what is the best way to substantially increase the displacement of a 1980 GS1000G. What overbores are available and what are their pros/cons. Also, what about 1100g swappability?

You could possibly use the 1100 pistons (iirc) but keep in mind you could also do a stroker and gain some torque

Comment

I haven't heard of any stroker GS's. Is this an aftermarket crank, or a direct swap from another bike? Keep in mind I am looking for serious information from those who have done this and know. Not random guesses or assumptions.

Comment

the stroker was a random guess but there are companies that make rods/cranks to spec

Comment

I just tried searching for any kind of stroker kit for Suzuki GS motorcycles but came up dry. Sounds like a good idea but it seems these kits are either more for smaller displacement atv engines, or full size auto engines.

Anyone know of a GS stroker kit?

F

Comment

Originally posted by Jd Powell View Post
            Trying to gather advice or what is the best way to substantially increase the displacement of a 1980 GS1000G. What overbores are available and what are their pros/cons. Also, what about 1100g swappability?
            Wiseco makes 1085 and 1100 cc piston kits for the GS1000. You'll need to get your cylinders overbored. http://www.gszone.biz/pistons.html Give APE a call, they've done this a million times and can sell you the pistons plus do the machine work.

Comment

Poked around there awhile sounds like they modify your crank to make it a stroker. Just the lightening and balancing would help big time.

Comment

8 valve GS engines (except for 650) use a roller bearing crank. Not sure but stroker roller cranks sound more difficult than a plane bearing crank. Ape would know.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You do NOT stroke a roller bearing crank. If you have enough money I bet you could use a Giant 1400cc racing block

Comment

i have never seen a stroked gs before, i think tht is harley talk. If you want more displacment go with a wiseco kit, they are the only company that makes piston kits for your bike. i am also guessing since it a shafty and not a race bike you don't want to spent 3500 on building a engine. So just do the piston kit and don't mess with the crank, maybe just check it for trueness and get it welded. Other then that don't waste your money.
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

It was harley but when i think of "chopper" huge torque not huge hp comes to mind right?

Comment

usally yes, HD's have large amounts of torque because they have lots of displacement and rotating mass. a 1800cc HD may make 100hp with about 100 ft/lbs if they are lucky, as compared to a 998cc gsxr1000 that will make about 175 hp and 85 ft/lbs.

HD motors aren't designed to spin very fast so the only way they can get power is by increasing displament and once you can't bore any bigger the oly think left is longer stroke.

The Gs motors love to spin, the shorter stroke the better usally that lets them spin quicker and when they spin quicker they make more HP.

so like said, don't mess with crank (stroke) because noone really does around here you get a bigger bang for your buck by just going a few cc's bigger in bore size.
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks this bike is my only transportation and no dragbike. I'm just looking for a reliable boost in performance to keep up in the 21st century. I'll do some more research as to the differences between the1085 & 1100.

Comment

If you want some ideals look below. No random guesses here.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X