Question dyna s for gs650g?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question dyna s for gs650g?

Hi guys I am new to the forum. I have a 1981 GS650GX that I have restored but when I tried to get it running it only ran on 1-4 no spark on 2-3. I would like to put a Dyna S iggy on but they do not list it. Everything looks the same as the GS1100 parts I have lying around. Please help and sorry if this has been covered before. I am glad to be part of the brotherhood.
    Thad Q.
    Clermont, Fl

Check the coil first. Swap the wires into the coils and see if you get spark on 2&3.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Come on guys I know someone has tried this through the years. The guy at Dyna said it was because of clearance issues. The cover for a gs650, gs850 gs1100 etc. are all the same so what gives.
      I did the the coil swap thing and yes the coils are fine. I want to get rid of the stock box because after testing it it showed bad. The problem is the box is too expensive. I can get a new dyna cheap compared to the stocker. Thanks for looking.
      Thad Q.

Comment

Find a drag bike guy with an extra cover he drilled out for the Dyna 4000. Put in your dyna s and put a new emblem over the hole.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Thad Q. View Post
          Come on guys I know someone has tried this through the years. The guy at Dyna said it was because of clearance issues. The cover for a gs650, gs850 gs1100 etc. are all the same so what gives.
          I did the the coil swap thing and yes the coils are fine. I want to get rid of the stock box because after testing it it showed bad. The problem is the box is too expensive. I can get a new dyna cheap compared to the stocker. Thanks for looking.
          Thad Q.
          What sucks is you can get most everything for the other bikes like 550 750 and up.Why do they not think the 650 is worthy of having nice things like the ignitons and headers. Everthing is so hard to find for these bikes.I guess that's why I try to keep mine stock.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2007, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
            What sucks is you can get most everything for the other bikes like 550 750 and up.Why do they not think the 650 is worthy of having nice things like the ignitons and headers.
            Parts diagrams show that the 650 uses a different 'signal generator' (which is the plate & assembly) than the 750, but the ignition covers have the same part numbers. (Also a different 'black box' aka 'ignitor').

If it were me, I'd give it a try. It's probable that nobody here has needed to try this, so you're getting no responses. The stock ignition works great for most people.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Hey guys. Bought a Dyna S and made it work on the GS650G. Took a little bit of extra work but really wasnt too involved. I am still setting the timing but it fired right up. I will write more when I have more time. So all of you guys out there fear not there is a high performance ignition available for the bike of your dreams. Thanks for looking.
              Thad Q.

Comment

Thad Q, what all does a "little work" consist of to make the dyna s fit?

Comment

Working...
                X