81 gs450l clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs450l clutch

my 81 gs450l clutch only engages in the last inch or so of lever travel before the lever is fully out. i adjusted it according to the clymer book. the clutch engages smoothly with just me on the bike but when i'm riding with my fiance it tends to shudder when pulling away from a light. it also seems like i should hardly use the clutch because the trans shifts so smoothly with or without using the clutch. i still use the clutch though. does the small area of engagement on the clutch lever mean the clutch is worn to the point of needing replacement soon and if i have to replace the clutch do i just replace the friction plates i could get at old bike barn? also, when i have to do this job where can i find bolts to replace the existing phillips head engine cover bolts with some bolts that aren't so easily stripped?

the shudder sounds like your driving technique imho ...

Comment

it shudders no matter how much i ride the clutch when we pull away from a light so i don't think it's me.

Comment

Sounds like your clutch is in need of inspection and or replacement. How many miles are on the bike/clutch? The fact that it is slipping and causing the shutter that you explain, is less a factor of your driving and more a sign of clutch wear. The added weight of you passenger (I'm making no insinuations as to the size of your bride to be...) is causing the clutch to slip. The plates could be glazed, worn, springs might be weak, or all of the above.
        As far as the replacement screws...if you have a Fasten-All or similar supplier in your area, they'll have them in stainless allen head. If not, most good hardware stores will carry a selection.

Comment

the bike has close to 13000 miles and i'm sure it's the original clutch. where would i find replacement springs for the clutch? if i'm going to replace the friction plates i might as well do the springs while i'm in there. found em. should've looked before i asked.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2007, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 03svrider View Post
            the bike has close to 13000 miles and i'm sure it's the original clutch. where would i find replacement springs for the clutch? if i'm going to replace the friction plates i might as well do the springs while i'm in there. found em. should've looked before i asked.
            Good call...do it all and do it right, then forget about it! \\/

Comment

Originally posted by 03svrider View Post
              also, when i have to do this job where can i find bolts to replace the existing phillips head engine cover bolts with some bolts that aren't so easily stripped?
              Replace 'em all:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

My thread, and I've been completely satisfied with the kit. Most hardware stores will charge you $2+ each for stainless bolts, so by the time you buy enough for the clutch cover it's cheaper to buy the whole kit.

Comment

Working...
              X