650g transmission trouble part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650g transmission trouble part 2

Just to recap the sad situation of my 650g, earlier this spring, my bike started developing what I thought was a slipping clutch. Figuring that it was old worn out clutch springs, I tore into clutch only to find that I could easily spin the clutch inner basket while in any gear. After disassembling rear shaft assembly to make sure propeller shaft intact, realized problem was in transmission.
    At this point, decided it was time to look into fixing my identical 650g parts bike that I had previously tried fixing (oil leaks from everywhere). Long story short; got it running so that I could at least commute to work.
    This last weekend, I decided to tear into transmission to see what had happened to it. Having never pulled motor or split cases, I figured this would be a good learning experience. Motor came out fine and had no difficulty in getting cases apart.
    Upon inspection of transmission, found that the secondary drive bevel gear would spin on shaft independently. This is the gear that connects the transmission gears to the secondary driven bevel gear that is attached to propeller shaft. Sorry for confusion, but that is the best I can describe it.
    Of course to disassemble, the service manual calls for a special tool. After manufacturing a custom tool (pvc pipe and large fender washer coupled with 6mm bolt) I was able to separate secondary bevel gear from shaft. Here I made a rather startling discovery--this part was supposedly one piece and mine was two!!
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

My question is whether these two pieces could be joined back together? It looks like the first piece slid into the cog and then was welded. I have access to a quality machine shop that could weld the pieces back together. If not, then I guess my options are to try and find a matched pair of secondary gears or a replacement motor.

Comment

buy a new set of trans internals on ebay... if you weld it you risk having a piece of slag break off and really gum things up. Just my 2c

Comment

Your best bet is to find some used gears. The beveled drive gears at least on my 850 can be replaced without removing the engine from the bike
        Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2007, 06:35 PM.

Comment

PM sent.
          V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919