Battery not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery not charging

I have read the stator papers, followed the instructions, ended up replacing the reg/rec, the stator, and the battery and still I am not getting above 12v while the bike is running. At this point I would like to know if there is anything out there that I can hook up to the battery that will charge it while the bike is running...like a solar charger or an in-line electrical charger...please help
    Thanks.
    Ted

Um, in addition to reading the Stator Papers, you need to do the tests.

If you replace the R/R when you actually needed to replace the stator, you'll smoke the new R/R. Ask me how I know.

If the faults in both originally came from a short in the harness or a bad ground, you'll smoke the replacement. If a wire is melted, do you know how deep the damage goes? Have you removed all the damaged wire?

Make sure you have identified the original cause and made it go away before you fire it up. Then test each element as you are re-assembling.
    Mark Fisher
    sigpic

Comment

Spend a few hours cleaning ALL...ALL of your bikes electrical connections! Pay special attention to the grounds...this will most likely be the source of your problem. I use copper pipe cleaner/flux and follow it up with a shot of dielectric grease, it works very well. Pull all of the bullet connectors apart and clean them well. Dont forget about the ones in the head light bucket, also. Spray a shot of WD-40 in the ignition switch also. If these bikes have spent any time outside in the elements, after twenty+ years, there will be oxidation in the bullet connectors. It may seem strange...and I'm sure anybody that knows me will agree, but I never leave my toys out in the rain! I ride to work most days and if I know it's going to rain that day, I drive. :?

Comment

yes i did the tests and followed the correct order of replacement as i too have learned from previous experiences. this one is a real doozy... thanks for your input : )

Comment

I will try cleaning all the connectors and hope for the best...did you see improvement when you did this?

Comment

Originally posted by GS850L View Post
            I will try cleaning all the connectors and hope for the best...did you see improvement when you did this?
            It fixed the charging issue I was having. I would leave the battery on the trickle charger over night and would get a day or two out of it, and at that, it was anybody's guess as to it starting or me having to give it a shove. :? Lights are brighter, charges 15.4V at 4000RPM's and shows a consistant 12.8 static. Make sure that the R/R is well grounded. I removed mine, cleaned / detailed it and reinstalled it, all connections, and no problems since. \\/

Comment

On a friends GS 450, we were troubleshooting his charging system. The Stator Papers pointed me to the R/R grounds. All looked good to me. Then I realized they were "grounded" to the battery box, which was insulated from the frame with rubber grommets. Once we relocated the grounds to a proper place on the frame, his problem was solved.

Comment

Working...
              X