help again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help again...

Well still working on the GS450... my original plan was to fix it up and sell it for a little more.. but its got more headaches then i imagined.. Took it for a ride, and now oil is leaking from like where the little suzuki metal things are on the side of the engine.. its coming out around that plate... i have never taken these plates off before... so, any ideas.. is it going to be lots of work to correct this? or is it an easy fix? im thinking about just getting rid of it, but yea, thought i would check around and see what you guys thought...
    thanks

Crank case cover? Which one?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

it was on the left side.. and also where the kick shifter is... yea.. the right side was fine...

Comment

Can you post a picture?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Buy it, fix it up, sell it - Only profitable if you got a non-running bike for dirt cheap, get it running and sell it for a modest price and slight profit.
          If you try to get it to be a reliable (and/or non-leaky) machine by trying to fix every oil leak, replace worn sprockets/chains/tires, fix charging system glitches, replace ignition components - there's no way you're making a profit.
          Sell a running bike for a fair price and disclose all known issues to the buyer - this has worked fairly well for me. Of course, if you factor in all the hours you put in to get it running (and assume your time is worth a bare minimum of $20/hr) then your'e never going to "make a profit". I do it for fun.

Comment

yea i do it for fun and experience.. i picked this bike up for 200... knowing it had problems... i just dont know what all is behind this cover... if it was one oil drop an hour i wouldnt care less... but when the buyer comes and starts it up, and sees a steady flow of oil out of the bike... i dont think the sell will go very well... my friend is borrowing my camera.. so i cant really put a pic up.. but im just wondering what is behind there, and is there anything that could have gone wrong to have a messy oil leak???

Comment

Unless you do something seriously intense with the body that would make it more desirable

Comment

If I understand what you're saying, it's the clutch behind that cover. Behind that is the transmission gears. If you're just removing the cover, assuming nothing else is going on, everything should (in theory) stay intact when you remove it. You can clean the edges well and use liquid gasket (Yamabond, etc) to seal it.

Keep in mind though that if you're planning on turning around bikes that you know little about for profit, you could end up handing someone a death trap one of these days. Just something to think about.

Comment

haha... yea good point.. but im just trying to get my money out of it right now... think its still possible actually...

Comment

with experience it can turn in to a profitable endeavor... wait till you see the gas tank I'm building It'll be welded tomorrow and pictures will be posted shortly after

Comment

well let me know when the pics are up... i want to learn how to weld.. but none of my close friends got welders... so yea.. cant really do that kind of work...

Comment

Originally posted by siffty View Post
                        well let me know when the pics are up... i want to learn how to weld.. but none of my close friends got welders... so yea.. cant really do that kind of work...
                        Well perhaps you need to figure out some basic things, like where the clutch is, before tackling big projects like chopping a bike up. Get a manual for the bike and learn how they work. Learn to walk before you try to hack.

Comment

Working...
                        X