Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 tings: Valve adjust BARELY out and I still have a cold pipe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 tings: Valve adjust BARELY out and I still have a cold pipe...

Hey all,
    I just completed my first valve adjustment. I just had to leave the cylinder one exhaust valve slightly out of spec because I didn't have the right size shim. It's a tight squeezed .09mm (79 GS850 btw) and I figure this probably isn't a big deal but should I immediately order the right size (2.75mm) and swap it out? Or is it ok for a while?

My second question is about my cold pipe on cylinder four. All the other pipes warm up evenly and quickly but four takes about twice as long. I've swapped plugs and wires from cyl. one but nothing changed. The plug on four is kind of red near the tip and a bit of red on the ceramic. I assume this is fuel related? I've done the timing adjustment and it's spot on. The airbox has also had a thorough sealing and clean filter. I've basically done everything to this bike before removing the carbs for a rebuild which I've never done. My next move was to replace the intake seals and maybe boots.

I also still have blue pipes on all but cyl. four... Thanks for any advice...

Josh
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2007, 09:09 PM.

Synchronize the carbs. But first get that valve clearance right. I would clean the carbs anyway. Check Here
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I had this happen right after I changed needle valve seats and o-rings.Turned out to be a piece of crud stuck to the pickup tube in the carb bowl.Picked it off and has ran fine ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Synchronize the carbs. But first get that valve clearance right. I would clean the carbs anyway. Check Here
        Yeah, I guess I'll go ahead and buy a Carbtune. I've come this far I might as well get her as perfect as I can. Thanks for the advice. It's all been on my list but I guess I just wanted to make sure I was going in the right order. The other thing is the bike is getting horrendous gas mileage and I've already done the Seafoam thing. Carb rebuild it is...

Josh

Comment

Working...
        X