Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternative fuel

hi everybody
    just curious if anybodies run across a motorcycle thats been converted to run on propane or lpg
    appreciate any info yall have on this subject
    jim

The closest I have ever seen to "alternative" fuel would be the few diesel-powered bikes.
    Kawasaki made one for the Army, and there are others.
    Have never heard of one powered by LPG (which is propane, by the way).

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If a flathead v6 or v8 can be converted to run on propane i dont see why not (may hi-lo's use old flatheads)

Comment

Does 60% ethanol/40% gas count? I have an aquaintance that's been running a CB360 on such a mix after modding and tuning to do so.

Comment

OK, no doubt it's possible, but is it practical, especially for day-to-day driving?

A quick Google search for "propane motorcycle" yielded these:

eSportBike

Converting a Kawasaki ZX-6R

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
            hi everybody
            just curious if anybodies run across a motorcycle thats been converted to run on propane or lpg
            appreciate any info yall have on this subject
            jim
            Does Flatulence count? Got lots of that. If one put a hose up ones arse and ate lots of beans and ale it might work?

Comment

diesel-powered bikes are not new. thay have been around since wwII. nato is pushing for a single fuel diesel. if you check there has been a small push for diesel motorcycles and snowmobiles.

diesel will never be big in the states. the epa pushes to keep the cars and trucks off the road.

hydrogen has a long histroy of problems. it takes a lot of power to make. is hard to store. it will leak out of the walls of pipes and storage tanks.

luquid propane, lng luquid natural gas. can be used with ease. there are thousands of forklifts out right now that use duel fuel. gasoline or lpg. just a flip of a switch and off you go. the only problem with using the lpg on a motor cycle is the size of the tank and controls for stedy fuel delevery.
              it would not be all that hard to do a mod and have a bike run off of a forklift carb.

Comment

Working...
              X