650gt silencer/muffler - interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650gt silencer/muffler - interchangeability

I've lost the right hand silencer side silencer (i believe it's called a muffler in the u.s) - basically the rear most part of the exhaust - off my '82 650gt.
    The rest of the exhaust system is ok so i'm loathe to shell out for a full motad or marshall 4 into 1. Plus i prefer the looks of the original.
    Enough rambling.
    Will any other gs silencers fit?
    Will a left hand silencer fit the right hand side?
    Any other cheap fix solutions?

Ian

Emgo

I used Emgo silencers on mine to replace the completely rusted-off silencers/mufflers it had when i bought it. They are the tilt-up kind. They are sold under various brand names like Roadkrome and such, and by mail-order stockist J.C. Whitney in the U.S. and A.

Work well enough, sound is OK, nice chrome. Price was C$72 per, so about 36 pounds sterling give or take. Probably a bit restrictive, but it still goes good enough for a 25 year old bike.

Comment

If you can find a decent pair of silencers for a good price they should work. The main thing to worry about is that they match and have comparable restriction to the factory pipes unless you're willing to do some rejetting. You may find a nice set of Yamaha silencers at a junkyard that will fit with a little creativity. If you're willing to do rejetting or at least tuning of the carbs, you can get a set of aftermarket silencers that will bolt up to the stock locations. I actually had a set of Screamin' Eagle (Harley's "aftermarket" brand) silencers on my 750 Shadow and it ran fine with only minor adjustments.

They need to match so as to not throw off the exhaust balance.

Comment

denniskirk also has some. Some of the pipes got good reviews.

Comment

Working...
        X