Head gasket ooze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket ooze?

Hi! Thanks to all who participate in this site, it is a BIG help.
    I am the original owner of a 85 gs700, with about 24K miles. It has had no problems other than the stator/RR at about 10K. Two months ago after riding about 15 miles it would not idle, had to use the choke to keep it running. It ran fine at highway speed but would try to cut off at every stop. By the time I got it home it sounded like it was only running on two cylinders. Since then, with the help of searching this forum, I have checked valve adjustment(some were a little tight), replaced the carb boot o-rings (flat and hard but no cracks), checked and cleaned the carbs (three times, found nothing), checked the coils, pickups and igniter (passed all tests, the igniter had a couple cracked solder joints but I may have done that getting it apart--the board is glued to the case), and verified compression with a push-in type tester (I know, worthless, but my good one would not fit). After all of that it ran better but I still could not set the idle. Set it at 1100 ride it, idle goes up to 2200, set it back to 1100, ride it, next stop it dies. So I pull the carbs again and find nothing. Time for a proper compression check (I know, should have done that first), 1)90, 2)60, 3)130, 4)130. (cold, carbs on the bench) Ouch! So I pulled the head looking for a nice burn through between one and two...nothing. Pulled the cylinders looking for a sticking or broken ring...nothing. For the past few years I have noticed a slight brown ooze coming from the head gasket. It's not oil, feels like gasket shellac. I have noticed it more since this problem started, especially around #1. Is this how this type (three layer steel) of gasket fails? I can see through the layers edge on except where it is crimped at the bolt holes now that it is off. Do you think it is the gasket, should I pull the valves, or have I missed something obvious? Thanks!

Compression numbers say there is a problem. So you will have to disassemble to find it. While it is apart, take the cans to a shop to check for a ckrack and get them honed, get a new set of rings and the pistons checked and cleaned. checkthe condition of your valves and the head, then clap it all together. While it is apart, replace the carb boots, intake orings and you are now a pro at the carbs so you can clean them up and put in new orings. Now you have a new top end, and your bike should run like new.

Comment

Your compressions are not perfect but not the cause of an idling problem. That is your idle adjustment set at. Generally if they are up and down on RPM at idle and hard to set a constant idle then you are on the lean side at idle. Now the screws don't adjust themselves so you may have an air leak or some crud in the idle or pilot circuit.

Comment

Thanks Clone and terbang for your input, Canada, Taiwan and New Zealand to Maryland, this is a small world!
        Are cylinder cracks common on these bikes? The liners are SO thick. Mine still have the pretty factory crosshatch pattern, only a few visible vertical lines on #2.
        An order from cycleorings.com is on the list for the next reassembly, but I have not found anything in the carbs that seemed bad, even the tiny o-rings under the idle screws were intact and pliable.
        I'm still looking for the "smoking gun" problem but can't seem to find it.
        Does anyone know a good source for a top end gasket set for this bike? The vesrah web site shows a part number but I can's seem to find any vendors that list it. Could piece it out with oem parts but would rather get a set. Thanks!

Comment

Did the fluid leak test as described in the FSM and found five leaking exhaust valves, both on #1 and #2, one on #3.
          It's amazing how fast this happened. In the span of a few short rides (less than 200 mi. total) it went from "hmm, idling a little rough today" to "OMG it's only running on two cylinders!"
          Now I wait for parts.

Comment

Just my opinion of course but considering how far down the engine is I'd hone the cylinders and slam in new rings. That, along with your head rebuild, should bring your compression numbers up to where they belong.

Good luck.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Does anyone have the spec for the valve spring free length for my 85 gs700 ? The factory service manual only shows the spec for a single spring, mine has dual springs and they are different lengths.
              Thanks!

Seals, rings, and gaskets are supposed to be on the UPS truck, hooray!

Comment

Working...
              X