Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which advancer plate will fit "85 GS550L ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which advancer plate will fit "85 GS550L ?

Does anyone have any experience with installing older mechanical timing advance plates on bikes with electronic ignition, for the purpose of using a Dyna S ignition?

Since my '85 GS550L doesn't have one anyway, I not sure what has to match in order to install one.

The same Dyna S system fits '77-'81 550, 750, 850, 1000 & 1100 four cylinders. Does that mean all those advance plates are essentially interchangable as well?? Like I said, i don't really have a grasp on how the advance plate mounts or works.

Thanks for any advice,

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

I think all you need is the mechanical advancer unit, not the ignition plate.

From this page:

The mechanical advancer is a spring-loaded gizmo bolted to the crankshaft. It's sort of hiding in this photo, but you just remove the ignition plate, then remove the bolt in the center and it pops right off. You can see the trigger blade peeking out at about the 10 o'clock position in this photo;
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Bwringer is right. All you need in the mechanical advance mechanism. The Dyna comes premounted and correctly gapped on its own base plate.
      You will need to know whether your bike has a Kokosan or a Nippondenso stock ignition system because the Dyna comes in two styles and they are not interchangable. Both styles however use the same mechanical advance unit.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

OK, thanks guys.

I understand I only need the advancer plate - I've found one from a '79 750L. Would that one be OK to use on my "85 550L?

Mike
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
        X