79 GS850 Oil Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850 Oil Leaks

Been a while since I posted anything. Need some advice on fixing an oil leak. Seems that I've got a leak coming from between cyls 3 & 4 from the head gasket as well as oil dripping off the bolt between cyls 2 & 3. Of course it drips right down on the pipes and the smoke just rolls off them, a drip every couple seconds.

Not wanting to look like Nicolas Cage in Ghost Rider, I've parked the bike till I can get it resolved. (which is unfortunate since I just overhauled my carbs, got a tune up and it's running better than ever)

I've been searching the forums for info on replacing head gaskets and it seems the popular opinion is that I should replace the base gasket at the same time I replace the head gasket since I'll likely disturb it getting the head off.

Question: Do I have to pull the engine to get the head off? cyls off? I'd rather not if I don't have to. Obviously it would be easier to work on, but a pain to get it out and back in. What other gaskets should I replace while I'm in there?

Any other options so I can get through the summer without having to replace gaskets?

I had the same problem. Tap out the threads for the 6mm bolt between cyl's 2 & 3 (it's a tight fit but use a small adjustable) Then replace the 6mm bolt with a longer one so that a 6mm nut can screwed onto it. Tighten the 6mm bolt first, then the nut. Ted

Comment

Leak

I would clean up the engine as best I could and make certain the leak is coming from where you think it is. Oil leaks are really, really tricky. Is there any oil above the suspected area? There's always such a good chance that it's coming from the valve cover gasket. That's a likely suspect...and an easy fix!! Let us know!
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I blasted the engine off pretty good at the carwash and rode it to pinpoint where the leak was coming from. I know I've got a small leak on the left side of the valve cover gasket and had planned on replacing it with a rubber gasket from realgasket when I put it back together. I put a new valve cover gasket on it a couple years ago, but it was a fiber type.

There's not a lot of oil above what seems to be the head gasket leaks, but there's a chance that the ride back from the carwash blew it around. Maybe I'll clean it off in the driveway and try the talcum powder trick I read about.

If it is the head gasket, do I have to pull the motor, or is there enough room below the backbone to get it apart?

Comment

Originally posted by dcollins View Post
          I blasted the engine off pretty good at the carwash and rode it to pinpoint where the leak was coming from. I know I've got a small leak on the left side of the valve cover gasket and had planned on replacing it with a rubber gasket from realgasket when I put it back together. I put a new valve cover gasket on it a couple years ago, but it was a fiber type.

There's not a lot of oil above what seems to be the head gasket leaks, but there's a chance that the ride back from the carwash blew it around. Maybe I'll clean it off in the driveway and try the talcum powder trick I read about.

If it is the head gasket, do I have to pull the motor, or is there enough room below the backbone to get it apart?
          Don't have to pull the motor at all. Easily done on the bike. IF you need to.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'll confirm where my leak is and hopefully not have to tear it down that far.

Comment

Working...
            X