Timing Adjustment? '82 GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Adjustment? '82 GS650G

I've gotten this bike back up and running recently, although I've run into a bit of a pickle. It will start up and idle, but it won't rev up above 2500rpm's. It acts like it's struggling for power. Seems like it's getting plenty of fuel though, running rich even.

Anybody have any ideas as to what this problem may be, and more importantly your best suggestion as to how I could fix it?

Thanks again GS!

Timing is not adjustable, but you do want to check that your mechanical advance (if you have one) is operating properly.

You've got to check the basics:
    1) Valve adjustment
    2) Carb cleaning/o-ring kit
    3) Replace intake boots/o-rings
    4) Check for and fix any other airbox/etc. air leaks.
    5) Check plugs, caps, coils, etc., for proper operation.

Lots of details on this stuff in the archives.

Comment

you are best to run through that check list. pull the top off and check you valve clearance, pull the carbs off and rebuild them.

If you STIll want to advance the timing. you can do some minor adjustment:
      pull your ignition cover off to expose the magnito. there are 2 screws holding a ring shaped plate in place around the magnito. loosen the screws, and turn the plate slightly counter clockwise. secure the screws and try it out.

Comment

I'm running it without the airbox right now as a "testing stage". Will putting the airbox back on make a difference?

Comment

It won't just 'make a difference', THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM.

If you just need to do some testing (but not out on the road), fold a shop rag in half, place it over the carb intakes. Zip-tie it to the outside carbs. Now it will run well enough to test in the garage. NOTE: this is not good enough for jetting checks.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Doh! Let me go put 'em back on and see what goes down.
            Thanks!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the timing is not adjustable on '82+ Suzukis. The advance is electronic.

And yeah, the bike won't go without an airbox. Don't futz with the timing.

This page shows the differences between the electronic and mechanical advancers:
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Im surprised it even got up to 2500 rpm's.Dont forget to clean and re-oil your air filter.The oil helps catch all the crap that is sucked in the airbox from under your seat like,leaves,moths,mosquitos,small animals,road kills etc....etc....

Comment

Fixed it, thanks boys.

Comment

Working...
                  X