Starter problems and Stuck bolts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter problems and Stuck bolts.

Hi guys. 2 part question. And yes, I did read the archive.
    These questions are for a 77 GS 750

Question #1:

I bought new exaust this winter and the problem is this: while taking off the old exaust I broke off 4 out of the 8 bolts that held the exaust to the block. I need to know the best way to remove the bolts. The heads are gone, I tried "not so" easy out's and broke 2 of those off in the bolt. I'm just looking for the best way to get them out now.

Question #2: I purchased a used starter and it spins. I put it in the engine and all it does is spin, but doesn't engage the engine. On this model you don't have to hold in the clutch.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Try drilling them out. If you start with a small drill bit (like makeing a starter hole) and get progressivly larger alot of the times it will break free and come out. Be sure not to go in crooked and damage the head. If you still cant get it to release you may have to drill them out completly. If so check the forum entrys on Timeserts to repair them if needed.

Greg

Comment

If you can't get the stumps out just drill the old bolt and tap new threads.

Comment

If the extractors are sticking out at all try to get them out before drilling. While you might be able to drill through them you'll go thru a lot of bits trying to do so. I just had to do this on my bike, but luckily was able to get the extractor out with a little dremel work and a pair of vice grips. Good luck

Comment

Luke,
          I really hadn't paid much attention to your avatar. I see you have the K2 bolted on. Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Luke,
            I really hadn't paid much attention to your avatar. I see you have the K2 bolted on. Looks good.
            Thanks, I've put it into the gallery as well.

Comment

If they where any other bolts you could try but snapped off exhaust bolts in an aluminum head are a real bitch. If the bolts are broken off flush with the head, don't bother to try and drill them; you can cause alot more damage. If you dont get a perfect centre hole on the same axis as the bolt you will not achieve anything. Remove the head, bring it to a machine shop, have them removed, and helicoiled if needed. Then put in stainless steel studs, and use nuts to clamp down the exhaust instead of bolts; and you will never find yourself in this unpleasent situation again.

Hope this helps,

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Working...
              X