gs1000 reassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 reassembly

ok guys, i just ordered my complete gasket set online.

my engine is pretty much disassembled right now...

clutch and all electrical is removed, cylinders and pistons off.

where do i start? the mech that tore it all apart did a great job labeling everything and keeping it all in bags, thank god.

he said everything looked fine, and from what i have seen it all looks good. i got 98% of the carbon off of the pistons and they seem to be in good shape. the rings are still on them.

can i just put them back on and reassemble my top end? whats wrong with using the old rings? will it hurt anything?

never had an engine apart this far, so i kinda need to be spoon fed for now.

its a 78 gs1000 2 valve.

i have the manual so i wont need detailed directions, just a little guidance on what to do when....

If you have it that far apart, it is false economy to not change the rings and hone the cylinders. When you take the rings off, break one of them (very carefully) and use it to clean out the grooves on the pistons.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It is a must to use NEW circlips when you put your pistons on the connecting rods. Do NOT use the old ones. I would get new wrist pins as well, but that's just me.......$5.00 a piece.

Make sure your gasket surfaces where your block meets the case and your head meets the block are cleaned well. Like above post says, honing and new rings should be installed.

Comment

ok, so where can i get a hone? and also, what piston rings and clips do i need? i really have no clue where to start, so any links or specifics are greatly appreciated.... thanks guys....

Comment

ok

clips are number 25, pins are 24. rings are 23.

looks like $30 per piston for rings, $8 a pin, and $.67 per clip.

does that sound right? wow

Comment

cyclepartsnation is a little cheaper than that...

Comment

i found the overbore kits... $400. i did a lot of searching and didnt see any other places than bikebandit and the other one...

are all those prices per piston?

thats gonna be like $45 a piston then?

wow. once again any info is greatly appreciated. thanks guys

Comment

dont worry guys. i will have all engine mate surfaces clean and prepped for new gaskets... already replaced the head gasket on my 750, its working out great!!!

Comment

Here's where I buy anything I can. Not always the cheapest but usually cheaper than Bike Bandit and they've gone the extra mile for me a couple of times. Get to talk with a real person too. Ask for Jeff at ext. 111

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Some others:

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Prices you quote are ballpark for pistons and rings. I went 1st oversized pistons and rings for my 850 at $65.00 a set (piston and rings) from Z1.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2007, 07:02 PM.

Comment

sweet! thanks man

Comment

I've used a Flex-hone in three GS850 rebuilds so far with excellent results every time. It takes a total of about a minute with the flex-hone in a low-speed cordless drill to get a beautiful crosshatch in all four bores.

You can get Flex-Hones here in various diameters:
                      Engine building tools and engine building supplies from Goodson Tools & Supplies. Buy engine building tools from Goodson's engine building supply catalog.

Low-tech, works great, nearly impossible to screw up. Just keep the drill moving vertically at all times and only stop and start it when it's clear of the cylinder. Keep everything soaked in engine oil while you're honing (yes it makes a mess) and make sure the block is scrubbed squeaky-clean afterwards -- you don't want that abrasive getting into your engine. Wipe the bores with engine oil immediately to keep them from rusting.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X