• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tappet valve shim removal

is there an easy way to remove these??

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Hi Mr. longgreensilverado,

You'll need a Suzuki valve shim tool similar to this one to push the "bucket" down while you use tweezers, or something similar, to remove the shim. Don't use anything magnetic on the shims. If the shims get magnetized then metal particles will collect there and ruin your lobes. I hate when my lobes get ruined.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks i'll order one first thing tomorrow. i feel naked driving my truck to work

Comment

another silly valve tappet question...

Am I missing the shims?:?

(Couldn't start a new thread, so i posted here)

Comment

Originally posted by Jagir View Post

Does the bike run? Is so, then no.

Comment

Your bike does not have shims. Use the threaded adjusters to adjust valve lash.

BTW, on bikes that use a forked adjuster you want to make sure both valves in the pair are adjusted with exactly the same amount of clearance or the cam follower will skew and cause uneven wear.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                Does the bike run? Is so, then no.
                Thanks. The bike runs (with a pesky throttle hang at 4000 rpm once it's warm). I just cant seem to find the shims or how to get to them. I did do some painting earlier today and maybe I'm a little stoned8-[. Will have a fresh look at it and try to find them tomorrow. And pictures of the fairing I painted are to come...

BTW, I sped through FSJ last week. Would've looked you up, but was in a cage with the fam trying to git north. I did get a peek at both roads from/to your little town and wished I was on 2 wheels. Where do you get parts from (ie - the shims) up here?

J

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Your bike does not have shims. Use the threaded adjusters to adjust valve lash.

BTW, on bikes that use a forked adjuster you want to make sure both valves in the pair are adjusted with exactly the same amount of clearance or the cam follower will skew and cause uneven wear.
                  So I am not stoned! I thought those nuts would make good adjusters but every resource I've looked at talks about the shims.

Thanks for the tip, I'll get back to it.

I assume it's just 'lefty-loosey, righty-tighty'?

j

Comment

So I am not stoned! I thought those nuts would make good adjusters but every resource I've looked at talks about the shims.

Thanks for the tip, I'll get back to it.

I assume it's just 'lefty-loosey, righty-tighty'?

j
                    The nuts feel pretty tight - the amount of force needed to make them do anything seems excessive. Do I need to rotate the lobes in a certain direction to relaese the tension, or do I need to just force them?

thanks

Comment

You need the cam lobe the opposite direction of the tappets to read them correctly. The high side of the lobe should be facing up.

Comment

Hijacker! :-D

Valve shims are used on the 8-valve motors. Looks like you've got a 16-valve motor. Knowing the year and model is always handy when trying to give out friendly advice. I hope you have a happy wrenching session Mr. Jagir.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                        X