hole in my block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hole in my block?

probably not what your thinking. Ive been hunting down oil leaks for the past few weeks, and today I see this.

enhance...

enhance...

I dont ever remember a bolt being in there, and I dont see any threads. Of course its hard to get under there to see it well.

Does anyone know what this is?

hole

it looks like the drain for the starter. i'll bet if you take off the cover plate for the starter you'll find oil. you'll have to remove the starter to replace it.s o ring and all should be good.

Comment

sweet, ill check that out... thanks

Comment

Ah, it's the Mystery Hole again!

It leads into an empty cavity between the cases, and its function is a drain hole for the area under the starter.

As astutely noted above, the o-ring on the nose of the starter is the most likely source for leaks from the Mystery Hole, and it is easily replaced with a standard 24mm o-ring. And, of course, oil from other leaks may also make its way into the starter cavity.

Here's the top perspective:

Here's the bottom perspective:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X