Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850G won't idle anymore

Hi again.

I bought my 1980 GS850G about 3 months ago. Put about 2000 miles on it riding back and forth to work (about 5 miles) and longer trips on the weekends. Even rode it up to Americade in Lake George and back to Norwich, CT (about 500 miles on back roads) with no problems.

I always had to use the choke to start her, but it has steadily become worse, having to choke longer and more severly in order to achieve an idle.

Now I can't get her down past 3000 rpm without her steadily winding down and stalling. If I ride her with an alligator clip holding the choke up, the choke eventually slips down and she stalls whenever I come to a stop if I don't keep the throttle open.

I've looked through the other threads and have found similar situations, but none that were the same as this. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Do you have rust problems in your fuel tank? Have you tried draining a carb bowl or two to get a snapshot of the amount (if any) of grunge / rust in the bowls?
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

It sounds like you may have an air leak. Could be around your intakes. Could be your air box. 850's are notoriously picky about their air supply. For starters make sure that airbox is well sealed. Use weatherstripping to replace the gasket for the door. Could be your intake rubber on either side of the carbuerators is old and stiff and not maintaining a seal, or maybe they just need tightening.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Serpae View Post
        Hi again.

I bought my 1980 GS850G about 3 months ago. Put about 2000 miles on it riding back and forth to work (about 5 miles) and longer trips on the weekends. Even rode it up to Americade in Lake George and back to Norwich, CT (about 500 miles on back roads) with no problems.

I always had to use the choke to start her, but it has steadily become worse, having to choke longer and more severly in order to achieve an idle.

Now I can't get her down past 3000 rpm without her steadily winding down and stalling. If I ride her with an alligator clip holding the choke up, the choke eventually slips down and she stalls whenever I come to a stop if I don't keep the throttle open.

I've looked through the other threads and have found similar situations, but none that were the same as this. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
        Have you checked your intake manifolds? If there is the slightest crack in those things, air will escape and cause a major problem!!!

Also, have you checked the condition of the plugs??? Are they fouled??

Comment

Besides air leaks also check your valve clearances.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X