Starter relay failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter relay failure?

Now that everything is wired up i tried to start my bike up (i have previously turned it over using the screw driver/ solenoid method )... anyways i went to start the bike via the start button (everything is setup and wired properly i double checked). The this that aren't hooked up are: rear brake sender, fuel level sender, gear position sensor, but everything else is wired up except for some misc cluster related lights... anyone? is a starter relay failure common? (my blinker relay was fried as well) and where the hell is it?

What type of bike is it?

Comment

83 gs550e ~10k miles

Comment

Originally posted by aosmith View Post
        83 gs550e ~10k miles
        Ok, have you checked the fuses? also, have you checked that you have good current to the relay? Have you checked the wires in the headlight bucket? Make sure that they are all in good conditions and that they all have good current running through them. Another thing to check is your grounds...Make sure that they are all in good condition.

Do you have a wiring diagram??

Comment

Really stupid thought on starter relay failure

Hey guy just a thought. This spring my GS850 wouldnt turn over either despite my trying everything. After I jumped the relay with a jumper wire I realized the kill switch was in the on position. Not only dose the switch turn off the juice to the coil, it turns off the starter seloind as well. I flipped the switch and it started right up. Guess thats what I get for throwing my helmet over the controls so I couldnt see the switch

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Daube View Post
            Hey guy just a thought. This spring my GS850 wouldnt turn over either despite my trying everything. After I jumped the relay with a jumper wire I realized the kill switch was in the on position. Not only dose the switch turn off the juice to the coil, it turns off the starter seloind as well. I flipped the switch and it started right up. Guess thats what I get for throwing my helmet over the controls so I couldnt see the switch
            That has happened to me before...I was soooooo embarassed!!!!! DUH!!!! #-oI felt like a complete idiot!!!

Comment

Do you have a clutch safety switch? Bypass it and this may help. I've also had a problem with a bad contact in the kill switch and had to clean it up.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X