shimless valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shimless valve adjustment

Hey all, I'm this deep under the cylinder head cover:http://www.flickr.com/photos/75842363@N00/731203915/

and I am hoping that someone will assist with the next step. I have measured (Suzuki method) and it seems that most of the clearances are tight, as expected.

Do I simply loosen the locknuts and turn the little square bits to raise or lower?

I have looked in both my Suzuki and Haynes manual - but they both (as do most of the posts here on the subject) refer to shimming.

Thanks,
    j

You can manage with a small pair of vise grips and a 9mm box end. You got the gist of how to adjust them.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      You can manage with a small pair of vise grips and a 9mm box end. You got the gist of how to adjust them.
      Thanks Billy - I'm on it.
      j

Comment

Suzuki sell a special tool to fit the squares. Costs about £7 in the UK!

Watch out 'cos as you do the nuts up the small squares move and tighten down thus changing the gap between the cam and the cam follower.

I use a 9mm double ended ring spanner and the special Suzuki tool.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

You might also find a tiny socket if you have a set that will fit the square head. The tool is available through most of the bigger bike catalog stores. When you tighten the nuts get them good and snug while holding the adjuster stationary. The ajusters can spin right out of the rocker at high rpms if they come loose from not being tight enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
            You might also find a tiny socket if you have a set that will fit the square head. The tool is available through most of the bigger bike catalog stores. When you tighten the nuts get them good and snug while holding the adjuster stationary. The ajusters can spin right out of the rocker at high rpms if they come loose from not being tight enough.
            Got em all done, nice and snug.
            Too bad (or lucky) that I found a dangerous looking electrical situation. Suppose I'll be ridin next week...maybe.
            j

Comment

I have been told that the recess in the top of a square drive drywall screw
              will fit. I havent tried it though. If true, if you screwed about a 2" screw tightly into the end of piece of hardwood dowel, it should hold well enough to use as a tightening/loosening tool.

Edit.......
              I just went out to my shop and checked. The square drive recess in the head of a #8 stainless steel roundhead sheet metal screw was a perfect fit on the valve adjuster on my spare engine.

Earl
              Last edited by earlfor; 07-07-2007, 09:30 AM.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

will this method work with my '78
                thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nichols750 View Post
                  will this method work with my '78
                  thanks
                  No, you have the tappets that require shims to adjust.

Comment

Working...
                  X